How old do you have to be to work at brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble-Brewing

Reaction score
Like the title says, how old do you have to be to work at a brewery? I am looking for a summer job and it would be pretty sweet to get some experience at a local micro brewery. I am just curious if there are any regulations regarding people under 21 making alcohol
Thanks

Like the title says, how old do you have to be to work at a brewery? I am looking for a summer job and it would be pretty sweet to get some experience at a local micro brewery. I am just curious if there are any regulations regarding people under 21 making alcohol
Thanks

Your profile says that you are 21 so why would you be asking? :confused:

I think it sucks that someone like this would be excluded from the forum. Reading his posts on the more scientific aspects of hops extraction, there's obviously a place for someone like this here.

It isn't illegal to talk about brewing, is it?

I think it sucks that someone like this would be excluded from the forum. Reading his posts on the more scientific aspects of hops extraction, there's obviously a place for someone like this here.

I'm all for free thought and all but I'm not sure about teaching a minor about making brew.

Our forum rules, agreed to by each member at registration, dictate that you be of legal age in the country in which you reside. If someone is not legal age, they are not allowed to participate in this forum.

So, it may not be illegal for them to talk about brewing, but they must do it somewhere else.

I'm all for free thought and all but I'm not sure about teaching a minor about making brew.

Well, we're teaching the world here. Searching google will bring back every piece of information presented on this site, and there's really no question that hasn't been asked at this point. So take it how you will, but what you're arguing is kind of inaccurate.

Our forum rules, agreed to by each member at registration, dictate that you be of legal age in the country in which you reside. If someone is not legal age, they are not allowed to participate in this forum.

So, it may not be illegal for them to talk about brewing, but they must do it somewhere else.

Well, sure. Bring up the rules.

This kid just seems smart. Although not smart enough to lie about his age. When are kids going to learn?

Well, we're teaching the world here. Searching google will bring back every piece of information presented on this site, and there's really no question that hasn't been asked at this point. So take it how you will, but what you're arguing is kind of inaccurate.

We're not arguing about this. Of course, anybody can google anything from making pruno to building a bomb. That doesn't mean we will allow those discussions here on HBT, or allow underaged brewers to participate in the forum. There are plenty of other places on the internet for them. HBT is not one of them.

This is NOT up for discussion. To the OP, if you're under 21, you need to move on to another forum. Lying about your age is a reason to be banned.

I get what you're saying. However there's a difference (for me) morally between me teaching someone directly how to make beer and someone using their own intuition to google something. I mean, I'm not going to teach some 12 year old how to make a pipe bomb but if he could type and read he could make all the bombs he could handle. I know were not talking about pipe bombs but alcohol as we all know can do worse for youngsters. However outrageous that metaphor is I feel the same way about it. As a middle school teacher I can't think about things any other way.

This kid just seems smart. Although not smart enough to lie about his age. When are kids going to learn?

LOL! That's what I was thinking.

Of course, when we were kids, we were too dumb to brew our own. We had to pay the old wino $5 at the Shop n' Save to buy our booze for us, just like everyone else did. You gotta admire the brains and ingenuity that some people have. Unfortunately, you gotta admire them from afar since they're not allowed here.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. :) Plus, we are just talking about beer. In less silly societies, there were table beers produced for kids. The kid already knows how to distill gin, so it isn't like he's running behind us in terms of knowledge.

But then I guess it comes down to a case by case basis, at which point I'd want to ban based on ignorance, and then it'd get really messy.

Who would hire a kid who is too lazy to just go and apply for the job, instead of come here, lie about his age, so he could ask us how old you have to be?

Jeebus, GO ASK THEM, SLACKER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back