Thriftshop score - Westover rhb-32 refractometer... cheap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
So, I went to a thrift shop today and was looking in the glass case, lo and behold - a recfractometer - $7.99. It's a westover RHB-32 (going on e-bay for $50-60 plus shipping). Appears to be barley used (if at all) or at the very least well cared for.

I hate you's, comments on the model, and refractometer basics welcomed! (I'll search of course, but if there's a link that's invaluable... lemme know!)

i LOVE my refracto! don't know about the model, what's the scale resolution? refractos measure in brix, which is very similar (but not exact) to degrees plato. when you get a reading you can multiply the number by 4 to get an accurate estimate of the gravity (a reading of 12.2 would come out to 1.049ish). you can't use a refracto (very affectively) to measure gravity when there's alcohol in the solution. just use it for OG readings. there are conversion factors you can use when alcohol is involved but they're not very reliable. i prefer a finished gravity hydrometer for that.

Specs:
Range: 0-32*
Minimum Division: .2*
Accuracy: 1 division

I figure I'll play with using both my hydrometer and the refractometer for both OG and FG readings (with conversions of course) and see how close the readings are. I've found a couple online calculators... we'll see how well they work for both.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=refractometer+homebrew&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]refractometer homebrew - Google Search[/ame]

I hate you! Great score! I haven't even looked into a refractometer yet since I understand they can't take a gravity reading with alcohol. Let us know how useful it turns out to be.

From the research I've done here and on the site - it's most useful for OG readings. It'll be most helpful for making sure that I hit OG exactly, rather than finding out after cooled and in the fermenter (I've been lazy - Haven't wanted to deal with cooling just a sample during boil).

Apparently you can use the refractometer reasonably reliably with alchohol, but it does require some moderately complex calculations (That's what spreadsheets/ graphing calcs are for...)

To be fair - this IS the E-bay refractometer - but seems to be well built and often used.

Back