Oats in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibbyGibson

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing an oatmeal stout tomorrow morning but my question is when to add them? I'm getting conflicting answers even within this forum. I'm doing a steeping grain/LME combo with the recipe below.

1 lb 60L crystal
8 oz UK brown/crisp
4 oz UK chocolate/crisp
4 oz UK black patent
4 oz roasted barley
1 lb old fashioned oats
6.6 lbs Muntons light LME

I've seen everything from adding it with the specialty grains and steeping to putting it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Any help is appreciated.

Never heard if putting grain in the boil. Putting oats in the mash is the typical practice.

I thought it was weird too, but it said in the final ten minutes of the boil then strain it out along with the hops so it doesn't get into the primary.

Just toured a brewery today and they mash their oatmeal (great oatmeal stout). I have been doing this for years just nice to know I was doing it right. Haha

Just toured a brewery today and they mash their oatmeal (great oatmeal stout). I have been doing this for years just nice to know I was doing it right. Haha

What brewery, if you don't mind me asking? There are some good oatmeal stouts out there. I'm always up for trying a new one.

Railhouse brewery in Aberdeen, nc. They got a pretty solid setup. The guys are cool as hell too. They hooked me up with a sixer of their IPA cuz I'm deploying soon. They are only available in nc,sc, and ny right now. But they are growing fast, just went from 72 cases a week to their distributor to 36 cases of each beer a week. Look them up.

If I am using "Quick Oats" I just put them in the mash. If I am using old fashioned rolled oats I boil them first in about twice as much water as the recipe calls for when making oatmeal. Rolled oats have not been gelatinized so the starch won't convert to sugars. That step has already been done for Quick Oats.

If I am using "Quick Oats" I just put them in the mash. If I am using old fashioned rolled oats I boil them first in about twice as much water as the recipe calls for when making oatmeal. Rolled oats have not been gelatinized so the starch won't convert to sugars. That step has already been done for Quick Oats.

I've got old fashioned. Do you boil them loose or in mesh bag? Also once boiled, then what? Are the oats added to a steep/mash?

As mentioned previously, oats need to be (a) gelatinized (cooked to break down the cell walls) and (b) mashed.

First, you'll need to know a bit about the difference between "steeping" and "mashing" and learn a bit about the mashing process. There's a bit of science content here, but basically "steeping" is more like making a tea... it just extracts flavour (and sugar in some cases) from specialty malts. Mashing is a little more scientific than that -- by soaking malts for a long duration at a specific temperature, you allow naturally present enzymes to convert starches into fermentable sugar. It's probably easiest to watch a video that explains this process well like these two episodes in BobbyFromNJ's all grain brewing series:

Part 2
Part 3

Why is this important? Well, because oats have starches in them that should be converted into sugar in a mash before you add them to your beer, unless you want cloudy, starchy beer... Since neither the oats nor the specialty grains in your grainbill have enough enzymes (diastatic power) to handle this conversion, you should also add 1/2 pound or so of a base malt like 2-row. Then, instead of steeping your grains at an unspecified temperature for 30 minutes, you'll want to make a partial mash (sometimes referred to as "steep to convert" in recipe kits) that keeps the grains in a more specific temperature range for 45-60 minutes before straining and adding the liquid to your brew kettle.

It sounds kind of complicated, but once you get your head wrapped around the idea it's not much different from steeping specialty grains. There's a few more elements to consider when brewing with oats, but gelatinization and starch conversion are the big ones you should know about.

An excellent article about brewing with oats: http://byo.com/stories/item/1189-oatmeal-stout-style

I've got old fashioned. Do you boil them loose or in mesh bag? Also once boiled, then what? Are the oats added to a steep/mash?

"Boiling oats" is really meant to be "cooking them", which is done just near boiling (a light simmer) for 20-30m, THEN added to the mash (NOT to the boil).

MC

amie said it better than I can. After cooking the oats to gelatinize them I add them to the mash along with some rice hulls to keep from having a stuck mash. They need to be mashed with some 2-row to provide enough enzymes.

Thank you all for posting. I had already begun by the time the last several posts came in. At least now I know why I missed my OG by nearly 0.010. I ended up steeping with my specialty grains. Transferred to my brew kettle and topped off to begin the boil. I'm going to return to this recipe again for my next brew so I can approach it differently and taste the differences between the two.

Latest posts

Back