Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blas-Brewery

Reaction score
Just wondering how long I should keep the co2 connected to the beer at room temperature its at 25 psi, its a stout.

it'll get to that psi at that room temp in about 24 hours. that's partial pressure of drinking pressure at drinking temp

Depends on the temp. I think you will get better carbing at colder temps. at 25 PSI im assuming your beer is at 66 degrees. Are you force carbing it? If you are try this STICKY about force carbing. If you're setting and forgetting it 25 PSI for the rest of the night decompress the keg then set it at serving pressure and let sit for about a week. Colder the keg the better CO2 will find a home in your beer.

for example, 1 way i do it is to put a keg on at 11 psi at 38 degrees. for new kegs, i usually pump them up to 25 psi for storage at 68 degrees for a month, etc

well heres my ordeal. I have a fridge I can put the keg in, but only the keg. So How long should I have the gas connected, some have said 2 days at 25psi, then when you want to serve, connect gas, put psi at 11 psi.

well heres my ordeal. I have a fridge I can put the keg in, but only the keg. So How long should I have the gas connected, some have said 2 days at 25psi, then when you want to serve, connect gas, put psi at 11 psi.

How can anyone say? You didn't give the proper information. Temps, amount of desired carbonation.

You don't have gas in the fridge? Or you have two gas tanks?

Anyway, at room temperature you'd need to KEEP the beer at 25 psi for at least two weeks to be carbed up. Instead of force carbing at room temperature, I'd probably prime the keg (like with bottling), let it sit at room temperature for two weeks, and then put it in the kegerator. Force carbing at room temperature will take two-three weeks, or naturally carbing at room temperature will take two-three weeks.

No I don't have the gas in the fridge. What I ended up doing was force carbing it, disconnected the gas, then left it in the fridge over night. Will the beer go flat if I don't keep the gas connected to it? I was thinking of taking the keg out when I want a pint or two, connect the gas , pour, then disconnect the gas and then put the keg back in the fridge.

unless there is a leak in your keg, it won't go flat if you disconnect the gas. many of us keg our beer, then put it under some level of carbonation to sit until we're almost ready to drink it. we then put it in the fridge, put it under gas, and drink it when ready (depends on the psi we kegged it at)

No I don't have the gas in the fridge. What I ended up doing was force carbing it, disconnected the gas, then left it in the fridge over night. Will the beer go flat if I don't keep the gas connected to it? I was thinking of taking the keg out when I want a pint or two, connect the gas , pour, then disconnect the gas and then put the keg back in the fridge.

Each time you move the keg, you'll restir up the sediment. It sounds like a pain to put a keg in the fridge, then taking it out to put it on the gas. Each time you have a beer, you'll have to refill the headspace with co2.

You may want to consider buying a "co2 charger" which you can use to push the beer. They are about $20, and work fine for pushing beer.

Good idea Yoop.

I'm curious - What kind of fridge do you have that will fit 1 keg, but not gas?
Or do you have a 20# tank that just won't fit?

Every time you move your keg, the sediment is going to get re-suspended in your beer - It won't clear up much at all...

Back