Kegging - Regulator SHowinh Drop In Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInVA

Reaction score
Just got my new kegerator and hooked up my first two kegs today after racking from secondary. I'm going with the 'set it and forget it' approach by hooking the kegs up to the tank at 12 psi for a few days to a week. Both kegs are at 40 degrees. What I notice is that the regulator slowly drops in pressure from 12 psi to ~ 11 or 10.5 psi over the course of an hour or so. I've check for leaks and there are none that I can find. I've heard when hooking up new, uncarbed kegs that it will take a while for the pressure in the regulator to stabilize as the CO2 is being absorbed by the beer. Is this accurate? I would think once I set the regulator at 12 psi it would stay there if there were no leaks in the system? Also, my tank is new - is there any sort of break in period? Thanks for the help.

If your regulators and tank are inside the kegerator, you'll have to keep adjusting the regulators until they stabilize to the temperature. Just check them periodically and adjust if necessary. Congrats on the new rig!

Thanks - definitely looking forward to not bottling any more.

Forgot to mention that the tank and regulator are outside the fridge. I realize that if inside the fridge the pressure would go down due to the lower temp.

I'm not totally sure on the set and forget but when I force carb, the psi will drop about 5 lbs then gradually go back to the original setting until I shake it and then it drops again. Could be yours is dropping as the Co2 mixes in the beer.

Don't know. That's what I'm guessing. But I thought the pressure displayed on the regulator would stay constant if there were no leaks.

I have to make small adjustments sometimes when I hook up more kegs, or less. I think you will find it stabilizes as the beer carbs up and you start serving.

My kegerator holds seven kegs, and a 20# CO2 bottle. I don't leave the CO2 tank open 24/7 anymore. I do bump up the pressure with the manifold from time to time to keep the beers carbed. That means I open the CO2 valve and give each keg a bump of pressure, not a lot, just a bump. The busy kegs get a shot more ofter than the slower kegs. Then I shut off the tank.

I got tired of losing too much CO2 by leaving the tank open 24/7. This works for me, or you can spend the next year chasing leaks and buying fresh CO2...

Good Luck...

Masonsjax is on point. Your pressure will adjust on the gauge until temps stabilize.Temperature greatly effects pressure. This is why the main gauge will basically tell you your CO2 tank is empty from the very start once it gets cold. Only way to accurately tell how much OC2 is in the bottle is by weight because of this.
You can do what WenValley suggests, but it's not right. It is not hard to find leaks in a system if you want a hands free system that you're not constantly messing with. A solution of starsan sprayed on all your connections will quickly show you where your leaks are coming from.

Back