Bodum Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keither

Reaction score
Hey, I was visiting my Dad and Step-Mom this Christmas. Dad was looking for a "Bodum" which I found out is just a brand name for a "french press" coffee maker. You know, the kind where you dump the coffee and boiling water in a glass cylinder and then when it's done you press a close-fitting mesh screen down the cylinder to separate the grounds from the coffee. I guess by now you can guess what I'm thinking. I tried the thing out and stood there staring at it trying to figure out what it reminded me of. Obviously my brain was thinking about beer. My subconscious chucks out these ideas but it's too lazy to finish them, and it leaves my less intelligent conscious brain with the task of figuring out what to do.

So, could you sparge wort with a giant version of a french press? I'm thinking it would take two runs or maybe three? Press out the wort, drain it off from a cleverly positioned tap right above the pressed grain bed, lift the filter, fill with sparge water, press and drain again, and so on? Would this work? Am I a genius, or has this been tried and discarded, tried, and in constant use except I'm too new at this to have heard about it, or is it too stupid to have ever been tried?

To me, this is essentially the same thing that the false bottom does-- it filters the solids from the liquids, albeit at the bottom rather than the bottom (as in the French press). BIAB is similar as well...

If you mean can you make a screen that fits the diameter of your mash tun, plunge it down, and pour off the liquid, I'd say yes, but you probably wouldn't be happy with the results-- the one issue with French press coffee (to some people) is the large amount of sediment that gets left beind. And it would be a major PITA to plunge, and pour, depending on your mash size.

Back