Thermostat in Fermentation Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
So, I have built a modified "Son of Fermentation Chiller" (pics up once complete) and have wired up a home thermostat to control the fans' on and off cycles.

The issue is, the thermostat will "click" on heating and when its too "cold", will turn on the fan. In cooling mode, I can slide the gauge from min to max with no "click" and no fan action.

The thermostat I got was a Hunter 40135, And I've wired power to the Rc connection (or to Rh and with a jumper wire connecting to both), and the red from the fan to the G (fan) connection. The neutral wires are connected together.

Anyone do HVAC and Brew Beer? I'm not sure where I went wrong in my wiring :/

On Yeah, first post! I've "lurked" for a while, and am working on my second batch of beer. but in NC in May, it's hard to keep a temp near 70 without breaking the bank on my electric bill :)

Thanks in advance!

Nevermind! After looking for the right thing (I decided to look for what other people used for their thermostats, and just get a new one) I found that the Hunter electronic/mechanical - the ones that run with 2AA batteries as well) has a switch delay for the compressor to avoid damagins the AC Compressor by cycling it too often. I hooked up the system (Power+ to Rc & jumpered to Rh, Fan+ to the Y (compressor) and the Fan- and Power- connected), waited about 2 mins, and the fan kicked on. i adjusted the temp setting, the fan kicked off. lowered the temp again, waited a couple mins, the fan came back on.

Thanks for everyone who had this problem 2-3 years ago and posted about it!

Latest posts

Back