coffee cream stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
This weekend I will be making midwest's cream stout. In the secondary I'd like to introduce coffee flavor. Ive done some minor research and learned that cold brewed coffee is the way to go. However, im looking for some advice as to what coffee to use and ratio of coffee to water. Any help would be great! thanks

I like using Guatalaman coffee b/c it tends to have more of a subtle chocolate flavor that lends itself well to stouts. I've used up to 24oz of strong brewed coffee w/ great results.

My very first brew was a choc. Coffee milk stout. I added 8 oz bakers choc with 5 mins left in boil. I cold brewed one quart of coffee I added 1 tbs Starbucks of Komodo dragon coffee to six oz of water. I placed coffee and water in fridge for 48 hours, strained and added to secondary. I bottled conditioned. Initially the coffee flavor was overy present but after letting rest in the bottle for about two months now this stout is awesome.

Could a person get away with using Starbucks Via? I have been considering adding some to my priming sugar solution at bottling time.

yeah, im a big coffee drinker and so is everyone that is going to be consuming this so the big coffee presence wont be a problem, however im looking for cold brewing coffee tips

If you've got enough brew to afford it, try different variations. I know the guys at Lagunitas recommend a course ground in their secondaries for no more than 48 hours, but if you brew a bit and measure it out into a sample of your beer, that would be the best bet. The coffee isn't going to anything to the fermentability of the wort though, so if you like the gravity and alcohol, either a dark and heavy brew or straight coffee grounds will lend the most flavor without mellowing out the brew.

Latest posts

Back