Mash too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ooguyx

Reaction score
Hello,

I did my first all grain today. However, I let the mash sit in the 152F water for 90 mins (because I mis-read the instructions). Will this negatively effect my brew and what can I do about it?

Thanks!

No, the grains will have already converted and will just be sitting in warm water for longer. Go ahead and mash out/start the boil.

Everything will be fine

I mash overnight, for about 12 hours and haven't noticed any negative effects. Got a cooler setup that I mash in and it works great.

I heat the water up to about 175 or so for about 12 # of grain, mill the grain while the water is heating, then pour the water in the cooler, then the grains, mix together, cover. Depending upon the season, I may/may not leave the coolers in the garage overnight. By the time the grains cool down, all conversion is over and the temp the next day, about 12-14 hours later, is around 140, give or take. I don't do a mash out; I heat my sparge water up to about 180 and disperse that on the grain bed and hold for about 15 minutes before collecting. I have also found that I don't need to recirculate the wort to clear the bed; plenty clear the next morning and I can open up the ball valve fully to collect right away.

Back