Lautering tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewienclawski

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals! I'm making a lautering tun using the schematic for a metal braid in Jim Palmer's "How To Brew." I'm having problems finding a hot water heater connector with a 1" diameter. Can I use something else? The Home Depot guy said they only come in 3/4".

The elements that I installed have (bought them from Home Depot as well) have a diameter of about 1.25", not .75". If by connector you mean locknut, you can buy those on bargainfittings.com. I found a cheaper option was to buy 1/2 couplers on amazon. I found stainless steel ones for 90 cents with free shipping via amazon prime, too.

Either one works, but you are looking for 1" NPT fittings, not 1.25".

The 3/4" braid will likely work just fine. Just make sure it's stainless steel and not metallic looking plastic.

OHHHHH. I thought you meant an electric element. Ignore my previous comment.

I used 1/2" hose and connectors on my mash tun, if that helps at all.

I used a braided hose for a toilet. Yes there are 1.25 inch hot water heater lines. I had to replace the hot water heater this summer and bought three of braided lines. I got them at Lowes.

Latest posts

Back