Laws on homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I always thought it was completely illegal, then I heard it was legal to have less than 5 gallons. Now, since I've been brewing, I haven't really thought about it, and don't really care. I'm am curious though; what are the laws? How much can I own? Can I sell it? Was I confusing home brewing with distilling?

It depends on the state. It is still illegal in some states. Most states allow up to 100 gallons per year and 200 gallons for housholds with 2 or more adults (over 21).

You can only brew for your own private consumption. Selling it will land you in very hot sparge water.

5 gals. isn't distilling that you're thinking about either. While they sell 5 gal. stills, it's only legal to own a 1 gal. still, and that can only be used to purify water, or extract flavor, etc. but not distilling any alcohol what so ever...unless you're distilling alcohol for fuel, then there's a whole pile of permits, and paperwork to deal with.

1. Don't sell it.

2. Brew what you like and like what you brew

3. Enjoy the art of brewing

4. RDWHAHB (don't worry about the rest)

Georgia was 50 gallons per head of household. Updated in 1995? I almost went over in 2007. :confused:

Montana code (updated in '95) says that anything to do with brewing is permitted as long as it's withing Federal guidlines. So, 200 gal./year for SWMBO and I.:ban:

Back