Fermentation chamber >$100

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnchorBock

Reaction score
Edit - I meant <$100 - can't edit the subject...

Finished this chamber last weekend; it easily fits 2 carboys. Could also fit a couple of cornys/1 gallon jugs. Could probably fit 3 5-6.5 gallon carboys, but I haven't tried yet (only have 2 currently). I didn't take many build pics, it's pretty self explanatory. There's a space heater to heat and a fan mounted on a dryer vent to blow cold air in from the basement (year round my basement is 50-60F). This should work great as I mostly brew ales - when I want to brew a lager it'll either have to be winter or the kegerator will have to be used during primary.

Dimensions - 32" Wide / 24" Deep / 32" Tall

Materials for chamber:
$6 - 1/2" Culled Plywood (cart at HD with cheap wood) 3 48"X48" sheets
$8 - 4 8' 2"X4"s
$10 - 8'X4' R3 insulation 1/2"
$3 - Pair of hinges
$2 - Pair of Hook/eyes to hold door shut
$3 - Foil tape
$18 - space heater
$2 - dryer vent

Already had CPU fan/PC charger and screws

$52 - Total for the chamber

Controller:
$7 - project box
$10 - 12 GA extension cord
$25 - Temp controller (ebay)

$42 - Total for the temp controller

I figured I'd just post pics of my brewing storage & kegerator (which I initally made for lagering before I had a kegging setup) while I took pics of the chamber since it's all right next to each other.

dsc0044zr.jpg

dsc0045tn.jpg

Edwort's Apfelwein & BCS American Brown ale (1 gallon oak matured mead behind the Apfelwein, barely visible - it's about 9 months old now). You can see the dryer vent on the right.

dsc0046qr.jpg

The kegerator fits 2 pin lock kegs and the C02 tank, it's SO close to fitting 3 kegs, with thinner insulation and staggered properly it just might fit another.

dsc0047sp.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions, hopefully this will help to show others how simple it is to build a fermentation chamber.

Credit for inspiration:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/weber-fermentation-chamber-159239/

No, outside air from the basement. I originally planned to cool from the fridge, but it hasn't been necessary thus far.

Id say the main advantage over fermwraps is that this only requires one temp controller and one heat/cooling source. It also offers protection from uv light. Thanks for the comments so far.

Back