my first partial mash and my own recipe need opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
I've got my first beer in the secondary and im feeling ambitious i used beer smith and came up with my own partial mash recipe,

its a strawberries and cream ale

please be blunt i want this recipe to be a little sweet with good strawberry finish, its for my wife

4.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 57.14 %
1.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 21.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.43 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
4.00 lb strawberries (Secondary 5.0 days)
1 pkg ??? yeast

are these quantities correct for a 5 gal batch?

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but if this is your second beer, I would stay with a proven recipe, and stay away from the fruit. The reason behind my opinion is that your first few brew sessions you should be getting your process down and trying to make good beer. If this recipe turns out horrible you will not know if the cause is your recipe or your process.

If you are looking for a recipe for your wife try BM Centennial Blonde. Not a fruit beer but pleaseing to most everyone.

Ed

Looks good.

You may want to transfer it to the secondary a little early so that the yeast is still kicking when you add the fruit. This is to use up the O2 and sugar that will be introduced before any nasties can get to it.

I've made a similar beer with blueberries and can also add that you should plan some type of filtering when you rack the beer from the secondary. Berry seeds don't belong in beer.

Latest posts

Back