Kegging vs. Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lubbock Brew

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Evan. I'm a mechanical engineer student at Texas Tech University. I've recently been doing a lot of online reading and browsing the various forums trying to get a good general idea as to how to get into brewing my own beer.

Just like everyone else here once was or is, I am a newbie. I have yet to buy my equipment and have been looking around and comparing prices.

My main question is...is kegging better than bottling?

Pros and Cons of Kegging? How about a compare and contrast? Kegging certainly seems easier than bottles, and I am all about draft beer, but is taste or quality effected by not bottle conditioning?

When kegging, do you still prime your wort before putting it into the keg or since you use CO2, do you not prime? I'm a little confused

Anyway, it seems that keg setups are about $100 extra on top of a super-deluxe starter kit. I'm usually all about just going ahead and buying the good stuff first and not having to upgrade. I have about $450-$500 to spend. Please help

Does anyone have an suggestions as to where to buy, best customer service, etc?

Thanks in advance

Evan

Look in the Bottling/Kegging forum...there was a long thread on this very subject just a couple of days ago.

Kegging is much less work intensive and at times alot more convenient. You wash/sanitize one vessile instead of 50-some little ones. Plus it's really cool to have friends over and just point to the serving tap on the fridge, watching the envy and excitement flush over the visitor.

Bottling is more work as stated. It'll take you 2+ hours to bottle whereas kegging is more like < 30 minutes. I started to despise bottling after 7 months of it. Kegging reduces 1-3 weeks before you can consume as well.

Downfall to kegging is $. I have a two tap system in my fridge and was about $225 I believe for the whole setup. Another downfall to kegging is portability and having a larger variety available to consume unless you get 4+ tap system (more $). I keg what I feel is "house brand" that is enjoyed by most and will be consumed rather quick (less than a month). If I'm trying a new recipe or one that I would like to drink "on occasion" I'll bottle. I dislike bottling so much I don't try new recipes that much anymore :D. Many are perfectly satisfied with bottling and even do labels (I can't imagine adding MORE time). They must not drink as much as I do :drunk: My goal and shall achieve it in '06 is to have two on tap at all times and two kegs ready and waiting to be tapped when the others spit foam.

Back