$#@%ing POS A$$ Property Management

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollhousebrewery

Reaction score
My future roommate, whos previous landlords were apparently not able to be contacted, so now he has to bring in someone who has to fill out an application to co-sign for him, its going to be another week before we can move in because they have such absurd standards. They are a college rental company, they thrive off of college students, this place is a SUBLET. It shouldnt take 2 f***ing weeks to sign a lease on a sublet. We should have moved in a week ago!

I am pissed off, screw you Apex, screw you hard!

Those damn rental companies that specialize in college students are real bastards more often than not. They prey on college kids because they usually don't have a steady income, they don't have as much experience living on their own and dealing with stuff like this, and they know that they can get someone else to rent the place if you fall through.

I feel your pain...

in my first apartment after I got out of school, we had some sauce drop out of a defective grocery bag outside of our door and break/spill everywhere. Since I didn't have a hose, I wasn't sure what to do. I cleaned up what I could with a paper towel, and called the property manager. I asked him what to do, and he said he'd come by and spray it down. Fine. But he never came by...and several days later, it was caked on. He finally came the next week, and had to use the pressure washer. Then they sent me a $60 invoice for the pressure washing. WTF? I wrote a rather airtight letter to them, but they just responded with "pay us". Bastards.

They know that they will almost always get to keep the deposit from college students. Of all the places I rented and roommates I had in college I never once got my deposit back.

the_bird said:
Well, to be fair - how good a condition do you think the typical college student leaves their apartment?

Yeah, but even when you leave it in excellent condition, they still manage to find little things. I had one dude charge us a bunch of $$ because I forgot to give him the mailbox key back...all he had to do was make one phone call and I'd have brought it over, but no. And then something about the chimney flue control arm being stuck...we used it maybe twice. I think they bank on making money from the deposit...and when it's spotless, they start scoping for the tiniest things.

the_bird said:
Well, to be fair - how good a condition do you think the typical college student leaves their apartment?
True. What condition was the place when you left? Did you ask for the deposit back? What excuses were you told that determined you didn't deserve it back?

Do you know that many states require the landlord to place your deposit (it's not their money) in an interest bearing account if they have over a certain number of apartments in a complex?

When I left Germany I got my deposit back along with over $200 in interest.:rockin:

the_bird said:

LOL, the places were trashed!! But, a day or two of cleaning it would've been ok. The fact is, they KNOW college kids are going to do that, so that's part of why they prey on college kids specifically. That was my point, not that I should've got my deposit back.

Side story... one place I lived in became so f'in nasty that we had foot long rats running through it around the last month or so I lived there. My dog would kill one or two every night and I'd wake up to find it's corpse on my floor. My roommate abandoned me a month early so I had to try and clean the place myself. I gave up after a few hours and just dropped off the key and left town.

homebrewer_99 said:
Do you know that many states require the landlord to place your deposit (it's not their money) in an interest bearing account if they have over a certain number of apartments in a complex?

When I left Germany I got my deposit back along with over $200 in interest.:rockin:

In MA, I don't think there's any "number of apartments" requirement; my first apartment, my deposit was held in an escrow account and I think I collected about $8 in interest :D Wasn't a complex, it was a private owner who has a three-unit house, lived in one and rented out two. They were total bitches when it came time to get my deposit back - things like dusting the inside of kitchen cabinets that hadn't been used and sh*t.

olllllo, You can't use an apartment as a keggle! Using an apartment for a keggle is bound to cause off flavors.

olllllo said:
If they kept your deposit, you pwn the apartment. Cut the top off.

Dude, unless you're "off the grid", that's not really true. They can send the collections folks after your ass. I had one place that was wrecked so bad (not from me, from the guys before us) that we actually had to pay $400 on top of the deposit not being returned. And rather than risk a run-in with collections agents and a mark on the credit rating, I just paid it.

Just because your deposit is $400 doesn't mean that anything above and beyond $400 is scot-free.

Evan! said:
Dude, unless you're "off the grid", that's not really true. They can send the collections folks after your ass. I had one place that was wrecked so bad (not from me, from the guys before us) that we actually had to pay $400 on top of the deposit not being returned. And rather than risk a run-in with collections agents and a mark on the credit rating, I just paid it.

Just because your deposit is $400 doesn't mean that anything above and beyond $400 is scot-free.

I'm afraid I would have to fight it. If they didn't tell me that when I signed the lease, I would not pay until there was a court order.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I'm afraid I would have to fight it. If they didn't tell me that when I signed the lease, I would not pay until there was a court order.

I guarantee you it's in the lease, and no one ever notices. Guar-an-tee.

When I moved into my place I did a thorough inspection with the landlord and I took pictures of EVERY defect. I wrote up the inspection (with the landlord signing it) and then I had the pictures and inspection report registered mailed to myself. I'm not paying for anything I didn't do.

Back