Another etched beer glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glavini

Reaction score
I'm going to be throwing a party this weekend now that I've finally finished my bar build and thought it would be cool to have some custom glasses made. I own a sign shop so cut out a logo out of vinyl to use as a stencil and picked up the armour etch from michaels. Pretty happy with the outcome. Also tried out the sand blasting kit and would rather use the cream.

image-1309776298.jpg

image-2017681040.jpg

image-2621173238.jpg

Wow that is pretty dang awesome! :rockin:

Can it go through the dishwasher?

Hey, Glavini, that looks pretty sweet!
Do you buy your supplies from Strange Brew?

Wow great job! I've never thought of that! Going to have to make a trip to the hobby store! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

-BobbyB

Reno_eNVy said:
Wow that is pretty dang awesome! :rockin:

Can it go through the dishwasher?

I don't see why not, I read the container and it doesn't mention not being able to run it through the dishwasher. I wouldn't worry about fading though since it actually etched the glass. Only time will tell I guess.

kklowell said:
Hey, Glavini, that looks pretty sweet!
Do you buy your supplies from Strange Brew?

I was actually there today picking up a few things. I also go to modern home brew in Cambridge.

Being etched there is no problem with the dishwasher.
I've done this and having yours at the top of the glass will be nice.
Mine are in the middle of the glass and don't show up well when glass is full of beer.
I'm surprised no one asked so I will.
Since you have the ability to make stencils would you be interested in doing so and at what cost?

KVP said:
Being etched there is no problem with the dishwasher.
I've done this and having yours at the top of the glass will be nice.
Mine are in the middle of the glass and don't show up well when glass is full of beer.
I'm surprised no one asked so I will.
Since you have the ability to make stencils would you be interested in doing so and at what cost?

I wouldn't mind doing them at all. Pricing is difficult though. Depends on quantity and exactly how much "weeding" is involved. Weeding is just the removal of the vinyl that is being pulled off. All that being said I wouldn't mind cutting the stencils for $5 plus shipping if people did there own weeding.

I think I'll have to give pint glasses with my homebrew...that's a darn fine idea...Yours turned out pro quality.

I wouldn't mind doing them at all. Pricing is difficult though. Depends on quantity and exactly how much "weeding" is involved. Weeding is just the removal of the vinyl that is being pulled off. All that being said I wouldn't mind cutting the stencils for $5 plus shipping if people did there own weeding.

How many armour etch cycles do you think the vinyl would stand up to? That stencil looks much friendlier than the UV curable ones I used last year.

Nice looking glass btw.

How did you get the intricacy of the cutout on the vinyl? Ive done some of these before, but with painters tape & was not able to get very detailed designs

They're both. I have a plotter that only cuts and I've got a 54" printer that prints and cuts.

Is the weeding done with your fingers and an exacto knife if needed?

What would you need for the design? A jpg or a Word document or ?

You would just need an exacto knife to pull the letters out. I would need a vector file. Ideally illustrator eps.

You would just need an exacto knife to pull the letters out. I would need a vector file. Ideally illustrator eps.

I don't know what a vector file is or have illustrator eps. Thanks for the offer, though. Maybe I could work with a local signmaker and get this done.

If its only text a word document would work. Any time images are involved it gets tricky. You can always email it to me if you'd like. I wouldn't mind looking at it. [email protected]

For those of us who don't own a print shop, where's the best place to get vinyl? I'd love to do this for Christmas presents...

EDIT: Glavini...any idea on timeframe (i.e., cut, print, mail w/in a week?) You've peaked my interest. I have a vector file...

I'd say within a week, I'm not open on weekends but I could probably cut them the same day I get the files and mail them out

Very cool and VERY interested. I'll see if SWMBO can make up a vector file for me.

I am not trying to stop anyone from doing anything but I have a SIL that is HUGE into scrapbooking. She has this cool little device called a Cricket. I think they are about 80 bucks in Walmart new.

I know that she has and can use it to make stencils for etching glass. (I think I am getting some custom glasses for x-mas ;) )

If anyone needs an eps and has a jpg file, send me a PM, I can convert it for you.

Back