2 year old pellet hops...still good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops

Reaction score
Been out of home brewing for about 2 years. I saved some pellet hops sealed in small ziplock bags in the fridge. Just wondering if they would be worth using. I figure they have lost some of their potency. Maybe I should brew a simple blonde ale using them and see what I get.

Been out of home brewing for about 2 years. I saved some pellet hops sealed in small ziplock bags in the fridge. Just wondering if they would be worth using. I figure they have lost some of their potency. Maybe I should brew a simple blonde ale using them and see what I get.

If they were vacuum sealed or still in their original packaging and in the freezer you'd be fine, but in a baggie in the fridge I'd just spend the buck or two to get fresh hops. You can certainly give them a smell if you want, but with the time/effort/money that goes into brewing a batch I don’t think iffy ingredients are worth the risk. If you use them for anything I'd put them in as close to the start of the boil as possible.

I'd probably toss them as well. But certainly let them warm up and smell them, you would know by smell if they were off as opposed to losing potency.

Back