Aeration podcast on BBR.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno folks. There is something that seems suspicious about the results of the guests findings.Mostly because this is opposite of the findings of other published works by respectable people and organizations.

First off, the guest uses straight water for his dissolved oxygen experiments. Other tests I have read about used wort at a about 12p in gravity. So, maybe that is the determining factor.

In summary, the results are that oxygen is dissolved into water more efficiently or effectively by splashing than by pumping. Which is a strong contradiction to what Wyeast, for example, published in the AHA web.

Thoughts?

I took what Wyeast published and still feel confident they are right. Why they would have skewed or made false claims on it, when what they create is heavily dependent on the aeration process is beyond me. :confused: I mean there test results and reasonings make sense!

I will say one thing, I have always splashed the crap out of the carboy after I pitch and it always comes out fine. So I will just stick with that method. :tank:

I'd respect their effort a lot more if they repeated it with wort. The fact that the document contains a BS excuse of "we didn't use wort to reduce the cost of the experiment" is ridiculous. Give me a break.

I couldn't find the published Wyeast results on the AHA website. On Wyeast's own site they show that splashing is more efficient than pumping air.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Good find. That sets me straight.

Yeah. It seems that I settled myself on Oxygenation and dumped the facts about aeration out of my memory banks. Even the old powerpoint says the same as is on wyeast website. The .ppt I am reffering to is actually on the BJCP web (Continuing Education > Yeast) and not the AHA.

Although, I suppose one could argue that Pumping is more efficient with respect to the brewers arms even if it is less effective at dissolving O2.

I just listened to that this morning in the car. Pretty surprising result.

Anyone notice all the time Revvy got at the beginning? Dude's a podcast star now.

The fact that the document contains a BS excuse of "we didn't use wort to reduce the cost of the experiment" is ridiculous. Give me a break.

No need to be that harsh. I think it is perfectly fine to establish a theory with the cheaper water first and then see how well that holds with respect to wort. I.e. check how the curve for aeration by shaking works. He already established that aeration with an aquarium pump would take to long for his needs, so he doesn't have to waste wort on this.

Kai

I've been meaning to pony up the dough for a oxygenation system, but haven't yet. What I've started to do in the meantime is use a cut piece from a plastic hanger that I spin in the fermenter using a power drill. That saves these arms unneeded work after a long brew session. It's been working well so far.

Back