Amount of table sugar.....confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
I have searched all over and I cannot find exactly what Amounts of table sugar to put in to my American Brown ale. I have used calculators but can't quite figure out exactly how they work I have about 4.75 gallons of this and am looking to bottle today thank you for any help. I did ask my LHBS and was told just under 4 ounces. does this sound right? I just do not want to ruin my second batch by over or under Carbing it. FYI the top of the sticker is at 5 gallons. I know this is a dumb noob question but that is why I posted it here and not in the bottling/Kegging section. Thanks again, MB

Also I have read "sugar in the raw"is a good choice. Should I use that instead of table sugar?

image.jpg

It is an American brown ale. I Selected it and it showed 1.5 to 2.5. So do I just put a number in between those in the lower section and then my gallons and that's it? I just don't know where to get the middle number from. Sorry for the ignorant question. I am "still green".

By middle number do you mean a "middle of the road" number from the "volumes of co2" range given? It gave yo 1.5 to 2.5,so it depends on if you want English carbonation (low),or American carbonation (high) to be general about it. Bottle English browns & bitters have higher vco2 than their casck versions as well. I'd go with 2.0 volumes to start with to get a middle of the road example of the style.

For a bottled American Brown Ale, I would go with 2.5 volumes CO2. If you go much less than that, the beer will probably seem undercarbed.

-a.

Ok so it looks like 2.8 oz by weight @ 2.0 i may go a little higher as suggested. Thanks for your help. That is one less noob question I will ask. Hopefully I will be able to help others at some point. Like I said I had no idea where the middle number came from. Now I do.

Well. I added 3.9 oz. bad news is I bottled 544oz. That is 4.25 gallons. It called for 3.6 at 2.5. We will see.

Back