What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspired by @zasada's posts, here's some Prog from Poland by the band Albion, with female vocals (Ania Batko):

This song was released on Albion's eponymous album in 1995.
A curiosity: The name Albion means Britain (or England) in Roman times.

When my daughter was in high school, her school orchestra organized a trip to Poland, and at the time, the missus and I both thought: "Poland?!? Who the hell would spend 'fly-to-europe' money, and then just go to Poland"?!? Long story short (as they say), the missus ended up going as a chaperone, and to this day (some 15 years later), they both go on and on about what an incredible experience the whole trip was.
Awesome! I can understand how such a one of a kind experience leaves fond and long lasting memories.

Around 1966, when I was about 10, my parents and other relatives hosted a group of Polish youngsters, aged 15-18, IIRC, for 3 weeks. This was in the Netherlands, where we lived on the beach during the Summer season. It was a "camp" setting with 2 rows of relatively luxurious but also fairly primitive 12x18' wooden beach huts, 40-80 feet from the surf, depending on the tide. The little village was 3/4 mile away.

That group had a blast and then some. And so did we, an interesting mixing of cultures, habits, and communication. None of us spoke Polish, and they didn't speak Dutch. But among all we figured it out with some German, English, and pointing at objects, building ad hoc dictionaries that were shared with the other families. Some of those youngsters stayed in contact for many years after.

Downloaded this AT LEAST 20 years ago off of good old alt.binaries.mp3s, and I still queue it up every now and then... Absolutely NO IDEA who the artist is! Does anyone recognize it?

The mp3-tags say:
title: your pet
artist: Ozzy's Favorites
album: CJ
date: 2000
Nice track!
But I'm clueless who it is and Discogs doesn't recognize any of the fields. Could be a personal compilation. Or something truly obscure.

Usenet is still there and active, but (private) torrents have taken over most of the business.

There was tons of music on Usenet back in the early 2000s. Not so much lately, although some servers are retaining content as far as 5000 days back.
Much content is obfuscated and/or encrypted/passworded now, making it useless. But most music is still available and ready for downloading, just not as plentiful as it was 10-20 years back, when we didn't have the speed and server retention we enjoy today.

I happened to notice @grampapark 's tagline and the tune rushed back into my brain after all these years.

Not from some movie for me, from the clock radio going in the dark telling me I had to trudge in the snow to junior high school. 1970's on W4 or WRIF, FM, detroit, they played it all the time at one point.

Amazing album from 1973...Brubeck was really rocking out and it has 16 minute version of Take Five

20230408_125549.jpg

I likely posted this one back when I first joined the forum, but in celebration of going on five years, I'll post it again. Dedicated to those of us who are still around, as well as those that have left and floated away;

Back