one more question about adding coffee to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer4gc

Reaction score
I am going to add some cold brew coffee to my secondary tomorrow and then keg the batch. I would add the coffee to the keg and then rack on top of it, but I want to bottle some beers, as i don't think my keg will be able to hold my entire batch.

however, in the past, i have added priming sugar to the secondary and had trouble mixing it in completely - some beers were over carbed and some under. I'm afraid that this will happen with the coffee too. i dont want my bottled beers to be real heavy on the coffee and leave none for the keg, or vice versa.

will the coffee distribute evenly through the beer? will it have a tendency to sink or float? should i let it sit for awhile to mix in before bottling/kegging? let me know if i am worrying about it too much or if anyone has had a problem adding coffee this way.

I am going to add some cold brew coffee to my secondary tomorrow and then keg the batch. I would add the coffee to the keg and then rack on top of it, but I want to bottle some beers, as i don't think my keg will be able to hold my entire batch.

however, in the past, i have added priming sugar to the secondary and had trouble mixing it in completely - some beers were over carbed and some under. I'm afraid that this will happen with the coffee too. i dont want my bottled beers to be real heavy on the coffee and leave none for the keg, or vice versa.

will the coffee distribute evenly through the beer? will it have a tendency to sink or float? should i let it sit for awhile to mix in before bottling/kegging? let me know if i am worrying about it too much or if anyone has had a problem adding coffee this way.

Never kegged. Bottled 5 gal some months ago. added coffee to taste at bottling time. All bottles had similar taste.

Stir gently from bottom to top with no air bubbles. Don't worry if you roust up some yeast. It has clumped together and will fall back out rather quickly.

my first batch with coffee, I added the coffee at brew time. tasted great and no worries of having to go secondary to "dry coffee" the brew.

would adding cold coffee beans alter the flavor? any reason to not just brew a pot or 2 of coffee and add that, let it cool, then rack your beer onto that?

Back