how do you guys transpant your rhizomes from pot to ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
ok, i transplanted my rhizomes today from the pot to ground, two things i noticed, i had a terrible time keeping teh soil together, it basically feel apart every single one and the rhizomes fell out? and basically broke every "long" bine coming off of them

plus i noticed i planted one upside down, is it ok to switch it to the correct side even tho, they shoots where going up the the very long side? will they change direction? or should i go out and change it back to the way it was?

as well when that same one i planted upside down fell out, it looked like the rhizome was "cracked" in the center, in the sense split in half do you think that it will be ok?

i am just not having a good day all around.

heartfelt apologies for your bad day. having never transplanted hops from a pot im not sure on all ur ?'s. Hate to say it though i think you should flip the one around, no sence in further stressing the plant with making it try and switch directions.

I took a ride over to my local hydroponics store and picked up some 5 gallon grow-bags for 45cents each: heavy duty black plastic bags with holes in the bottom, made specifically for growing plants indoors. When it came time to planting, so as not to disturb the roots, I cut a slit across the bottom of each bag and carefully placed the entire plant along with the bag into a hole in the ground containing my amended soil. Next, I cut a slit along the side of each bag down to the bottom cut and carefully pulled away the entire bag. Voila! My hops were sitting nicely in the hole and very little soil was disturbed. After that I just filled the hole and I was good to go.

I think the plants will be ok. I'm not an expert, but from what I understand they can really take a beating. They'll probably be a little stunted but I think they will come back with full force. I wouldn't try to move and replant them if the shoots already found the surface. Let them do their thing. As far as the split goes, one of the rhizomes I received in the mail was cracked down the middle and held together by mere fibers. I'm not sure which plant it was since I didn't mark it, but all my plants came up. Some are doing better than others, but they're all up, nonetheless.

so i can only hope, i didnt water them yet, cuz its spose to rain enough tonight, so ill let mother nature do its job,

i just went out and switched that one i planted upside down and corrected the way the were facing, hopefully that one pulls through.

I just transplanted 3 Sunday that I had in 5 gallon buckets. On one, when I tried lifting it the soil basically fell away. I just held the plant up where I wanted it in the hole and threw soil in around it and watered it The next day one of my dogs tried to dig it out, and again I threw soil in next to it and watered it. It looks fine. The next one I tried harder to bring out of the bucket with intact soil. A bunch of the soil stuck in the bucket, and ended up with most of the root broken away. Most of the shoots look like toast, but one shoot looks like it may well make it. For the last one I decided to sacrifice the bucket, and just cut off the bottom with a utility knife, then slid the whole contents intact into the ground. Its bine is climbing right up the rope like nothing happened. The moral of the story: screw the bucket, save the plant.

Screw the bucket- save the plant. That should be a mantra. What's a Homer bucket cost? $3.00 ? I think your right.

Having said that, I had four four year old rhizomes on the floor of my garage dry as a desert for about a week. I dug holes and just dumped them in. One I got in upside down. I dug it, it had about 50 bines on the bottom trying to grow out then up. I flipped it, covered it with dirt, about a week later I had bines breaking ground.

Maybe I've been lucky, but hops seem to grow despite my foolishness. :)

ok, i transplanted my rhizomes today from the pot to ground, two things i noticed, i had a terrible time keeping teh soil together, it basically feel apart every single one and the rhizomes fell out? and basically broke every "long" bine coming off of them

I learned this the hard way. Don't bother starting them indoors or in small pots to transplant them... you will only damage the bines from the very few active growth nodes that might exist on a purchased little rhizome. This needs to be in a FAQ or sticky, cause I keep seeing it happen to people every year. As soon as your ground is thawed, throw them in the ground... For future reference at this point, I suppose. :(

plus i noticed i planted one upside down, is it ok to switch it to the correct side even tho, they shoots where going up the the very long side? will they change direction? or should i go out and change it back to the way it was?

Looks like I am too late for this one. Once they start growing they will "find" which direction is up. There is no real way to plant them upside down... only "a slightly less optimal orientation" Hopefully you didn't further damage during moving.

i can only hope.. haha, im ready to just burn everything.. its all p*ssing me off... this weather is just un-doable this year.. the reason i planted them in pots was it was non-stop rain for about a month, ground was so saturated... so thought i would give me a start instead of waiting until august to plant them at the rate this rain is coming.

i have topsoil on order for various project, just that they cant even deliver it due to it being so wet.

but i agree with you, i no long will plant in pots. plus i out that evening being very careful and switched it to the direction it was in. i figure if this one survives i might as well let it keep doing what it was in the same direction.

sorry for my b*tching, just its been gray since november and i hate the gray weather, i figured summer is almost here and that the weather would change.. (still has not), with about 1 week of good weather in there.

Back