Pilot light woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I've been trying to find how the pilot light works, ie the parts for it, in Brutus 10 but have had no luck. So, I'm thinking of using the Honeywell honeywell q314a4586 pilot burner. My question is, do I need the honeywell valve also? My brutus is built, all gas is already plumbed, leading to a gas ball valve for the pilots. I was planning on running flex tubing up to the pilot burner, but don't know what to use for a burner. Can I simply use a reducing flare and attach the honeywell burner directly to the flex line? Or, what else can i use?

Thanks!

After the ball valve install a pipe to 1/4" od fitting and use 2" piece of copper tube to connect to a needle valve, then run 1/4" tubing on to the pilot burner inlet. At startup you will have to adjust needle valve for proper flame size, then tighten packing nut to keep it from moving so all you have to do is open ball valve and light pilot after that.

thanks Kladue. So, since I'm pretty new to this DIY thing... let me make sure I understand. From the ball valve, I would run the flex gas tubing to a 1/4 reducing fitting. Then attach a 2" piece of copper tube (diameter? how does this connect? solder?), connect to a needle valve, and run 1/4" tube to the honeywell burner inlet (again, how does this connect, solder, or can I just use pipe sealant?). The nce installed, adjust the needle valve for flame size, tighten, and good to go.
Does this sound right?
Or...do I forgo the flex tubing all together?
Can i buy all of this stuff at home depot? I'll get the honeywells online, but the other fittings.

Thanks again.

Eliminate the flex for the pilots, use 1/4" soft copper tube, fittings and needle valve from Hardware or home depot stores, from the ball valve up to the pilot burner. The pilot burner can be found at PEXsupply or other HVAC parts stores for under $15, just make sure the kit includes the LP gas orifice for the pilot burner.

Back