Kegging and Storing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadHarry

Reaction score
New to kegging and just got my equipment. I won't have my kegerator for a few months but don't want to slow down the pipeline I already have going so I was wondering. Can I keg and store at room temps for several months? If so do I just add enough CO2 to purge tank and seal then worry about carbing up later or should I do just like I was bottle conditioning ( though with 1/3 cup dextrose ) keg and store.

yep. keg condition it. put enough sugar in to carbonate it then close the keg up and purge with enough co2 to make sure you have a seal.

jester5120 said:
yep. keg condition it. put enough sugar in to carbonate it then close the keg up and purge with enough co2 to make sure you have a seal.

+ 1 on keg conditioning. Just make sure to use a calculator to determine how much sugar to use; it will be less than the same amount of bottled beer.

Or you can just purge and hit the keg with 20psi or so and store until your keggerator is done.

I really dislike "naturally" carbing and store beer all the time in the keg. I see no need to naturally carb if you have a kegerator. I hit it with CO2 to seat/purge and set it in the closet until a space opens up in the kegerator. Then I hook it up and force carb as usual. I just don't like the unknown of "natural" carbing and the extra sediment it creates. I've always looked at natural carbing as a necessary evil when I bottled and I don't see anything positive from natural carbing of you have the kegerator option. JMHO

Back