Trub In My Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
So my question here is about the hop additions in my beer. With every batch I've brewed, i've had more than desirable amounts of trub get into my carboys. I've tried syphoning as well as filtering. For the batch I brewed last night, I tried using hop bags, but due to the lack of the hop aroma upon adding them, I cut the bags open and dumped the plugs in like normal.

Can someone please give me some good advice here? Should I not be concerned about using hop bags? I've even tried to use Irish Moss, but I find that pulling my wort chiller out of the brew pot stirs everything up.

Have you tried using nylon paint strainers? They will filter out a very large portion of cold break material. Just chill as normal, line a bucket with the strainer, pour into it and then lift out the strainer bag. I go the extra step of funneling with a strainer attached, but that's more for additional aeration than it is for straining purposes.

hmm thats a good idea. I have a extra large grain bag, do you think that would work? Just plop it into the carboy while syphoning/funneling and pull it out at the end?

Would it be a bad idea to do this during a transfer to secondary? I don't want to aerate the wort by straining all the beer as I pull it out.

only strain from kettle to primary...you will most certainly aerate if you strain to your clarifier.

i have one of those expanding strainers (made to span your sink) that i strain into my bucket, then auto-siphon into the carboy...doesn't get out the break material, but gets out almost all of the hop material.

never got into the straining-funnel thing...thought it would clog up too fast..

After pulling the chiller, whirlpool the wort and let it sit for about 15 minutes. This should put the majority of the trub in the center allowing you to siphon clear wort from the side of the pot.

You don't have to strain your wort unless you want to. It'll all settle out in the bottom over the course of a week or two after fermentation finishes. If you want to strain, there are lots of way to do it. some have been mentioned, including whirlpooling, using paint strainer bags in an ale pail, then removing it after you've poured in the wort, straining through a strainer on the way to the fermenter, racking from the boil kettle, etc. They all should work.

After pulling the chiller, whirlpool the wort and let it sit for about 15 minutes. This should put the majority of the trub in the center allowing you to siphon clear wort from the side of the pot.

I've tried that before, only problem I encountered was as you get to the bottom of the kettle, the mountain of trub spans out as the water thins.

Back