WLP002 for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I was looking at the AHS dogfish 60 min IPA kit and saw that they recommended WLP002 english ale yeast. This caught my attention because I always thought IPA's were supposed to use clean fermenting yeast like WLP001. has anyone ever done a pale ale or IPA with this yeast? How was it?

I've done that specific kit, and while I can't one on one compair it to one done with WLP001 I can say that beer came out delicious. It was good enough that I just brewed it a second time this past weekend. The hops are so present that I don't know how much yeast character showed up.

Not necassarily "clean", but surely dry. I think WLP007 would be a better choice and is used by many a commercial brewer...Stone comes to mind.

I've done that specific kit, and while I can't one on one compair it to one done with WLP001 I can say that beer came out delicious. It was good enough that I just brewed it a second time this past weekend. The hops are so present that I don't know how much yeast character showed up.

Good to know. I decided to try the mini-mash option, which will be my first partial mash. I went ahead and went with the WLP002 yeast. Hopefully it turns out good.

It all depends what style of IPA you want to brew. IPAs started in England, of course, so a flavorful English yeast with a nice ester profile would be the traditional choice. The American style uses lower ester forming yeasts (like the Chico strain) and make for a slightly different kind of beer. Use whatever you like best.

If you are not ordering for a while, I can give you an update... My yeast starter is going and I am brewing that kit as a PM tonight.

If you are not ordering for a while, I can give you an update... My yeast starter is going and I am brewing that kit as a PM tonight.

I already ordered, but keep me posted! I will probably be brewing mine this weekend. Which yeast did you go with?

I just made a IIPA with 1968 (the Wyeast equivalent). It's finishing up fermentation now and kicks ass. I love this strain... so malty and rich.

I mashed low (148 for 60 mins, 155 for 30 mins) and had a 10% granulated sugar addition. It went from 1.091 to 1.018 for a whopping 80% attenuation!

I also fermented on the cool side at 63* for the first 4 days, after which I ramped up to 72*.

WilliamWS said:
I think DFH uses the Ringwood yeast.

I don't think so. Ringwood gives off a very distinctive flavor that it's almost overpowering. If you have a chance to pick up any of the Shipyard beers you can try Ringwood.

Use wlp 001, or yeast 1056 for and IPA that accentuates hop and malt profiles while leaving a clean finish without substantial yeast flavors.

I went ahead and gave 002 a shot. It's been in primary for 4 days. Fermentation was violent for about 24 hours and has since calmed down a good bit. I'll report back in a few weeks.

It got a little warm during the really active fermentation, about 72 degrees. I was able to slowly get it back down to 67-68. That's where it is now. Should i bring the temps up now?

Back