WLP810 San Francisco Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this one? Pitched a 2L starter into a 1.080 wort 3 days ago, and still have no visable signs of fermentation at 65degrees.

The starter itself had very little activity for the 36 hours before i pitched it, but it did build up a bit. I probably underpitched, and can certainly understand a lag time with it, but 72 hours after a starter?

if there is no activity in 2 more days, i plan to take a hydro sample, and concider repitching. this is the first time I have seen a starter take more than 6 hours to show signs of fermentation.

My WLP 810 starter took three days to show real activity. It did start fermenting like 12 hours after adding to primary, though.

WLP810 is the same as Wyeast's California Lager. I usually ferment that yeast around 70 without any issues; however, there is a lag time for sure. Even with a starter, there is lag time for me

I'll give it a couple more days, then concider tossing some nottingham in and go for a strong ale, instead of the intended dopplebock.

And ofc i will do a gravity reading to make sure i know it's state before i do that.

I've used this yeast a lot, but never for anything over 1.055. I have noticed a little bit of a lag with it, and I am pitching at 62 to 64 with it.

Did you cold crash your starter? was the pitch the same temp as the wort or was it warmer?

Was this a simple starter, or on a stir plate? If you did a simple starter I'd say you would have under pitched. Give it another 24hr, the yeast also might have had a little bit of a shock going into that high of a gravity, and will take a little while to come too and get to work.

I just used this for a 12 gallon batch. I pitched 2 vials in a halfgallon starter. It did take close to 4 days for the starter to finish. I chilled for 2 days and pitched, it was bubbling away 6 hours later! Fastest yeast start time i've ever had. I also am using it tomorrow, the starter took 4 days again. Both beers in the .050's.

If you're at 65 I'd say give it a good 2-3 days. If you don't see anything by day 4 then you can start to worry.

Back