Nut brown ale with a hefeweizen yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgloosNate

Reaction score
So, my first batch is doing what it ought. It's a hefeweizen that has been in the bucket for a week and a half. The gravity readings and the sneaky tastes I've been taking of my gravity samples are confirming that it's developing the way that it ought to, and I'm looking at bottling aout a week from tonight.

I do want to be economical in this hobby, and I think I can handle the responsibility and effort of yeast washing. I also know that the next thing I'm in the mood to make is some kind of nut brown ale.

So would a nut brown be a crazy thing to make with my washed colony of Wyeast 3068 Hefeweizen yeast? The styles are not super complimentary.... I still want to wash and reuse the hefeweizen yeast, but if it's not appropriate for what I'm brewing for my number 2, I'll just get whatever yeast I'm recommended by my shop for a nut brown and wash those guys too.

I'm also interested in hearing what people who have reused Wyeast 3068 end up using it for, and what the results have been. Patersbiers? Saisons? Dunkels? Some wild experiment I never would have thought of that turned out unexpectedly awesome?

Thanks!

Personally, I think it would be pretty gross.

I recommend WLP002 or WLP041 for a nut brown.

I'd just use the hefe yeast in a hefe. Maybe a dunkel, though I'm not a fan of those.

So, my first batch is doing what it ought. It's a hefeweizen that has been in the bucket for a week and a half. The gravity readings and the sneaky tastes I've been taking of my gravity samples are confirming that it's developing the way that it ought to, and I'm looking at bottling aout a week from tonight.

I do want to be economical in this hobby, and I think I can handle the responsibility and effort of yeast washing. I also know that the next thing I'm in the mood to make is some kind of nut brown ale.

So would a nut brown be a crazy thing to make with my washed colony of Wyeast 3068 Hefeweizen yeast? The styles are not super complimentary.... I still want to wash and reuse the hefeweizen yeast, but if it's not appropriate for what I'm brewing for my number 2, I'll just get whatever yeast I'm recommended by my shop for a nut brown and wash those guys too.

I'm also interested in hearing what people who have reused Wyeast 3068 end up using it for, and what the results have been. Patersbiers? Saisons? Dunkels? Some wild experiment I never would have thought of that turned out unexpectedly awesome?

Thanks!

Well you can expect a banana and/or clovey flavor from the hef yeast. If you ferment higher, more banana. Lower, more clove. I don't see banana going too well with a Nut brown but who knows?
I say do it! It couldn't be that bad.
For science!

Well you can expect a banana and/or clovey flavor from the hef yeast. If you ferment higher, more banana. Lower, more clove. I don't see banana going too well with a Nut brown but who knows?
I say do it! It couldn't be that bad.
For science!

I dare say...did we just invent banana nut bread beer?

Soo..... send me a few bottles and let's see how it turns out??

Is it possible to do this with macadamia nuts?

:mug::tank:

Oh, I thought a nut brown ale was supposed to have a sort of nutty taste, but without having any actual nuts in its making?

Likewise, I wouldn't put real bananas in there, but instead let the yeasts make banana esters.

Based on this talk, though, I am going to make a mental note to try this at a later time. Provided I get proficient at yeast washing and harvesting, I'll still have the colonies available to do this crazy experiment any time I like.

I have, however, told myself since my initial brewing class that I was going to just start by getting good at following the recipe for 3-4 batches before doing any mad scientist stuff!

Anybody else want to try? I'd love to hear the report!

I brewed an India Brown from Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book. It called for Wyeast Ringwood ale. It ended up being a strong and heavy brown ale. But the yeast definitely left a some banana aroma/flavor.

I thought they went real well together. I say go for it and let us know how it turned out.

Back