No signs of activity after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clengman

Reaction score
I have a small batch of cider going in a 3L wine jug. I used my own home-pressed juice, sulfited and added EC-1118 yeast. After about a month of fermentation, I had a SG drop from 1.056 to 1.002. I also had about an inch of trub in the bottom of the jug and thought I would try racking. I only have the one jug right now so I racked to a sanitized bucket, cleaned out and sanitized the jug and racked back into the jug. I lost a good bit of volume and topped off with sterile 10% sugar solution.

I expected that after adding a little additional sugar that I might see a return of some more active fermentation, but I haven't seen a bubble since the racking. WHat yeast was left in suspension when I racked is dropping out and the cider is pretty clear now.

Now... I had planned to backsweeten, carb naturally and dispense in a minikeg in my fridge, but it looks as though I don't really have any viable yeast anymore. What do I do about that?

Also,, I didn't use any sulfite when I racked because I expected a little more fermentation would happen and drive off the O2 in the headspace, but it isn't happening. Should I add a campden now?

I appreciate any advice you've got. Thanks.

Back