Rye Pale: Bitter finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverme

Reaction score
Alright, this was the first time I made this beer. Kinda shot in the dark making this. The body and aroma turned out very good and very smooth but damn, it finishes bitter? This is an AG recipe and here is the hop schedule.
.5 oz Columbus 12.2%AA 60 mins
.5 oz Cascade 5.8%AA 20 mins
1 oz U.S Golding 5.2%AA 10 mins
.5 oz Cascade 5.8%AA 0 mins

Thats only around 32 IBU's, so why the bitter finish ?

(I guess I better put this too)
7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.00 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
.5 lbs 4.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) 5.00%
.5lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
.5lbs Carapils 5.00%

1056 yeast used starter for 2 days

Mashed at 154F

Fermented in Primary for one week at 68F then moved to secondary at same temp for one week. Bottled and stored at house temp.

Alright, this was the first time I made this beer. Kinda shot in the dark making this. The body and aroma turned out very good and very smooth but damn, it finishes bitter? This is an AG recipe and here is the hop schedule.
.5 oz Columbus 12.2%AA 60 mins
.5 oz Cascade 5.8%AA 20 mins
1 oz U.S Golding 5.2%AA 10 mins
.5 oz Cascade 5.8%AA 0 mins

Thats only around 32 IBU's, so why the bitter finish ?

How are you calculating your IBUs? I use ProMash for recipe formulation, and if I plug your recipe in there, I am seeing 38 IBUs.

Still, It doesn't seem like that should be really all that bitter with an OG of 1.060 (assuming 75% efficiency).

Is it a true "hop" bitterness you are tasting or are you perhaps detecting the zingy spicyness of the rye?

How are you calculating your IBUs? I use ProMash for recipe formulation, and if I plug your recipe in there, I am seeing 38 IBUs.

Still, It doesn't seem like that should be really all that bitter with an OG of 1.060 (assuming 75% efficiency).

Is it a true "hop" bitterness you are tasting or are you perhaps detecting the zingy spicyness of the rye?

Sorry I put in the wrong AA. Its a mixture of both really. Its not an off flavor just has an bitter finish like an IPA with 70+IBU's. But I think your right its prolly the spicyness of the rye. I guess in order to have a more smoothing flavor would I need to add some citrus hops?

Hard to say without my being able to taste it and give a better opinion of what it is. Wanna send some to me? :D

If you are going to try and do something to mellow out the spicy flavor of the rye, why not just decrease the amount of rye next time? I've only made a couple of beers with rye in them, and the whole point of using the rye (for me) was to get that spicy zing.

Hard to say without my being able to taste it and give a better opinion of what it is. Wanna send some to me? :D

If you are going to try and do something to mellow out the spicy flavor of the rye, why not just decrease the amount of rye next time? I've only made a couple of beers with rye in them, and the whole point of using the rye (for me) was to get that spicy zing.

I may just bring some to you lol we have a rugby match up in NC coming up. Well I was trying to make a beer similar to terrapin rye ale so that was my reasoning for the rye. Maybe it will mellow out with age if not I can always adjust the grains next brew and see how that one compares. Thanks :mug:

Back