Grow hops from bine cuttings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb

Reaction score
I just harvested a bunch of wild hops I found growing by the side of the road. I have plenty of sections of bines/leaves along with the hops, but wasn't able to get to the root area since they were growing amogst thick blackberry bushes. Right now I don't know what variety these hops are or if they're going to be any good, but suppose I end up liking them...is there a way to get the bines to root so that I could plant them in my own yard? Or would I really need to get a rhizome out of the ground?

There is a thread about hop propagation using cuttings. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/propagating-hop-cuttings-68429/

I'm currently trying to do this myself. I shaved a bunch of cuttings on one of their extremity and dipped them in bontone rooting powder. Then I planted them in small paper cups filled with soil.

The cuttings have been in these cups for a week or so and most of them still have the green leaves I left on them. A few others don't look that good though. I've been keeping the soil wet, adding water every day.

I'm hoping something is happening below the surface. Right now I don't see a thing. Next time I think I'll try some transparent media like agar or gelatin to see if roots grow.

Don't know. But I would take a shovel next Spring, dig up some roots, plant them where I wanted them and say a nice little prayer.

cjb said:
I just harvested a bunch of wild hops I found growing by the side of the road. I have plenty of sections of bines/leaves along with the hops, but wasn't able to get to the root area since they were growing amogst thick blackberry bushes. Right now I don't know what variety these hops are or if they're going to be any good, but suppose I end up liking them...is there a way to get the bines to root so that I could plant them in my own yard? Or would I really need to get a rhizome out of the ground?

Yes hop bines can be buried underground and then used as rhizomes the next year. I recently went to a friends house, dug up some root with bines attached, then replanted them with the base of the bines exposed. Initially the bines died so I cut them off. Its been about 4 weeks and I now have new bines growing from the base. Did this to a willamette and a chinook. I resides in ca(don't know if that made any difference). Also I noticed the single chinook bine I transplanted yielded only two new bines where as the willamette has three established bines with multiple bine buds. All the new bines vary from about half an inch to an inch and a half. If you do some research online, you'll be able to locate how to convert bines into transplantable rhizomes. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back