Fermentation with blowoff tube, did I lose too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I split a batch of 1.072 wort between two fermenters. One is a five gallon glass carboy that I pretty much fill all the way up and use a blowoff and one is a 9 gallon with tons of headspace.

I put five gallons of the same wort in each fermenter, they are fermenting side by side and I used a two liter WLP007 starter in each.

Today after 4 days the one in the larger fermenter is at 1.008 and perfectly clear, the one with the blowoff tube is at 1.013 and still finishing up and quite cloudy.

They are side by side at the same temp, the only difference is it looks like some yeast may have escaped throught the blowoff tube....

Could this lead to underattenuated brew? Very, very odd I thought.

I'm fairly confident you won't have blown off enough yeast to have caused a serious problem with the brew; it may be a bit slower, but that could be due to a number of things, including differences in oxygenation level, available headspace, blowoff tube causing increased pressure in the carboy, etc. I'd give them both a bit more time and see if the carboy catches up.

I'm fairly confident you won't have blown off enough yeast to have caused a serious problem with the brew; it may be a bit slower, but that could be due to a number of things, including differences in oxygenation level, available headspace, blowoff tube causing increased pressure in the carboy, etc. I'd give them both a bit more time and see if the carboy catches up.

I sure hope you are correct, but like a father worrying about his kids, i'll keep worrying until it's done!

Back