blonde ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHB

Reaction score
I am looking to change my blonde recipe. I want to make it a bit more like a pilsner, cleaner and more crisp. Would it make more difference to use pilsner grain instead of two row as the base malt or change the yeast from 1099 witbread to 2565 kolsch. Please give any advice, Thanks

GHB

Interesting choice for changing yeast. Wyeast calls 2565 "similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase."

Don't know about you, but that doesn't cleaner or crisper. Have you thought about 1056 - which is a really clean yeast that will allow your malt profile to shine through?

Pilsner is a good choice. The yeast is an interesting question. Kolsch yeast would work, but at the cold end of it's range. You might consider a dry yeast like US-05 or the one mentioned above. A highly attenuating yeast with clean flavors/low esters.

Two other suggestions - mash lower and use a modest amount of adjunct (sugar, flaked rice).

Assuming you can ferment at the high 50's or low 60's, I would go for the kolsch yeast or maybe even the California lager yeast 2112. Both should produce a crisp beer if fermented in the right temperature range. If you look at EdWort's Bee Cave Kolsch recipe, he mentions it tastes more like a pilsner than a kolsch.

I brew a very light, "lager-like" ale with pilsner malt, some flaked rice and US-05. I feed it to the BMC drinkers and don't mind an occasional pint or two, myself.

Kegging a big batch of it Wednesday, in fact.

With little character coming from the malt or yeast, your hops choice is pretty important. I like to use nobles, like Saaz, Tet or Hallertau.

Back