Efficiency and grain order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
Ok, noob here on trying to do the AG thing right the first time.

So, I grabbed up Biermunchers SWMBO Slayer recipe, and was getting ready to order from AHS. Then I see the threads about efficiency.

I am planning on using a Gott cooler or similar and doing a single batch sparge with no mashout.

Beersmith sets my efficiency at 75% by default.

So, my real question here is if I don't hit that number what happens? a 'lesser' beer? Should I have more grains on hand to account for that ?

Larry

I would definately account for lesser efficiency on the first batch, or just be satisfied with a less of a beer. The best way to do this, until you have your system efficiency dialed is just to have some DME on hand to bump up the gravity to it's correct level.

Me personally, I would not add DME to the beer, just be happy that its beer, if you hit a lower efficiency. Even a 60% efficiency, which is VERY reasonable for a first time, will still make a good beer. Dont waste the extra money on DME, but Hey, its just my opinion.

Me personally, I would not add DME to the beer, just be happy that its beer, if you hit a lower efficiency. Even a 60% efficiency, which is VERY reasonable for a first time, will still make a good beer. Dont waste the extra money on DME, but Hey, its just my opinion.

I agree. Another option would be to formulate your recipe for lower efficiency, then of course, you will get 80% efficiency your first time up and have strong beer. Until I got my efficiency figured out, I just accepted the lower ABV beer. It still tasted damned good.

You could increase the boil time to reach your OG. That's what I had to do on my 2ng AG batch. I srewed the pooch and got like 40% eff. I boiled for two hours to get it more in line with what the recipe called for in OG.

Single batch sparge no mashout, with 180*F sparge water should give you 60-65% efficiency with Austin Homebrew's default crush. After you infuse stir well, and let it sit a bit, then stir again, and do your runoff. Boil and cool some extra top off water. If you end up too high, you can top off to get your OG.

Back