Pulling gas off of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruascott

Reaction score
I don't yet have my ideal kegorator setup at all, so I'm having to improvise.

My kegorator holds 3 kegs...single tap tower. Also have a single regulator that won't go over about 15-16 PSI due to a rusted locking nut.

When I keg a new batch, I've been keeping the gas on the new keg at the max 16 PSI until it's carbed to my liking. I then end up disconnecting the gas because I've got a new batch coming in.

There is enough residual pressure to continue to push beer from my carbed beer. If it starts to pour too slow, I'll just hit it with the gas line for a minute or so at 10-12 PSI, until I don't hear gas going into the tank any longer.

I'm just starting working with kegs, but is this ok? Or will the beer start going flat without gas on it?

I'm looking to switch to a 3 faucet tower, gas manifold, dual product regulator, etc....but that's pricey stuff and will be a bit before I can get all of that. Switching disconnects around between the kegs is going to be happening for a while.

[...]I'm just starting working with kegs, but is this ok? Or will the beer start going flat without gas on it?[...]

It's fine, no worries.
Sure, every time you pour with the gas disconnected, the beer is losing a bit of carbonation.
But if you recharge the head space frequently enough you'll never notice the change...

Cheers!

It's fine, no worries.
Sure, every time you pour with the gas disconnected, the beer is losing a bit of carbonation.
But if you recharge the head space frequently enough you'll never notice the change...

Cheers!

Great, thanks.

Latest posts

Back