Please look at my crack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviljafar

Reaction score
Mr Fedex just delivered my pre-cracked grain. There seems to be a lot of uncracked grain. This is my first AG so I'm not sure what properly cracked grain should look like. I pulled out 30 grains that looked uncracked and 14 I could break between my fingernails but 16 I couldn't break.

Does the amount of "whole looking" grains look normal to you people? Maybe I should put it in some bags and beat it with a blunt object?

Jaf's compressed dubious crack.JPG

it looks more uniform than what I can get with my rolling pin...I think its ok.

That crush looks like most homebrew shops would call "normal". To me it looks like the crush used by folks that complain about crappy efficiency. You won't get a stuck sparge with this crush (which is why most LHBS's undercrush) but you won't get near as good extraction as one that is quite a bit finer. For a first AG, this will probably be okay as you are still working on learning the process. As you do more batches, you will learn to tweak your processes. As part of this learning, you will learn how to run finer crushes without getting stuck sparges. I crush mine to get a lot of flour yet I don't get the sparge to stick and I get around 85% efficiency batch sparging.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Latest posts

Back