Mash Tun Spent Grain Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever made spent grain pizza dough

• Never

• I tried, but it didn't turn out well

• I have but it was only ok

• I have made great spent grain pizza dough

Results are only viewable after voting.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
4684492180_d74b70f828.jpg

Ok, it really isn't from the Mash Tun, but you can use grain from the mash tun. I used grains from an extract brew. This recipe was with Carmel 60 grains. I really can't share brewing recipes yet because I just started a few months ago, but I am pleased to share this one.

I used Alewife's recipe with slight modifications (my changes are in italics and red). Thanks Alewife! This pizza was amazing, better than my normal dough that I make, and my wife and friends love my other dough. I even think this was better than 21st Amendment in San Francisco. My dough was nice and crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. This will be served in my brewpub when I retire...in 20 years.

Recipe with modifications:

Alewife's Spent Grain Pizza Dough:

Yeast Starter
1 pkg. dry bread yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sugar

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
3 - 3 1/2 cups of flour (I used bread flour)
Cornmeal (optional)

Spent Grain Mixture
1 cup spent grains
1/2 cup water

Proof yeast by mixing with 1/2 cup warm water and 1/2 tsp sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes--a nice layer of foam should prove that the yeast is alive and well.

In large mixing bowl, mix together olive oil, sugar, and salt. Blend in yeast mixture. Stir in 1 cup flour until well blended. Set aside while you prepare the grains.

Add 1 cup spent grains (drained well, but still wet) and 1/2 cup water to food processor. Process until you have a semi smooth mixture. It doesn't ever get really smooth, but you don't want it too chunky either.

Change food processor blade to plastic dough blade (optional)

Add yeast slurry to grain mixture and mix together well. Add remaining cups flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well with each addition. (if using a food processor, mix until the dough forms a ball and naturally removes most of the dough from the side of the bowl) I do this by hand with a wooden spoon. It goes quickly, but you could do it in a mixer with a dough hook if you wanted. The last cup of flour will make the dough seem pretty stiff if you are mixing by hand, but it's ok! Don't worry. It's still a bit sticky, but will clean the side of the bowl. I just use my hands at the end and knead it together right in the bowl.

When you have a rough lump of dough together and the sides of the bowl are clean, push the dough ball to one side and add a bit of olive oil to the bottom of the bowl. Push the dough into the oil and flip it over, smoothing the oil over the top of the dough. Reshape the dough into an even round. Cover lightly and place in a warm place to rise for about an hour. (I divided the dough into 2 dough balls and put them in a bowl with olive oil and wrapped them with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge over night. I have read that putting the dough in the fridge over night makes a big difference, and I think it does. Then I take the dough out of the fridge about 2 hours before I want to bake the pizza. I also will freeze some dough for future. Just wrap each ball with plastic wrap and put them in a zip lock to freeze, then let them thaw in the fridge, and take them out 2 hours before you bake)

When ready to use, push dough down, deflating it. Bring sides in to center and flip dough over. Put dough out onto floured board and pat out evenly. Cut dough into equal sized pieces for each pizza you will make. If making all pizzas, you should have 8 equal sized pieces of dough. Shape each piece into an evenly round ball and place on a cookie sheet. Cover lightly and let sit 20-30 minutes. When ready to bake, take each little round of dough and pat it out on the floured board (I use corn meal) into an evenly round shape. You can use a rolling pin if you want to speed the process up a bit. I like them about 9" around for a thin crust pizza. Obviously, a thicker pizza would need to be pushed or rolled out to a smaller round. Once they are rolled out, top with what you like and bake as you usually would. (my directions changed a little. Alewife called for 4 cups of flour, I only used about 3 and I divided the dough into only 2 balls, but I wanted a thicker crust. I made a 14 inch and a deep dish Chicago Style pizza using pizza/baking stones. As far as toppings, I like to use spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce and I used thick mozzarella cheese, peperoni, and pizza spices)

This works better with a thin to medium crust pizza -- not so great in a Chicago or deep dish style (I disagree, my Chicago Style was great). The grains add a nice crispiness to a thinner crust. It works well on a BBQ grill, too! :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sweet. I made some bread from some spent grain a while back. It turned out really good. It's just too much of a pain to dry it out. I really need to get a dehydrator and a better mill.

apfssh.jpg

hmm.. we have a dehydrator, and the woman cooks bread ALL the time. Linking her to this.

The food processor does a decent job of grinding the grains. There were no hard pieces of grain in the pizza dough.

I was at Costco a few months back and they were doing demonstrations of the Blentec blenders and they turned all kinds of grains into powder. Too bad they cost over $400.

Grain pizza - I bet it goes good with beer! Seems a great thing to make, though I may wait until the weather cools.

What about the husks on the spent grains?

The husks are minor in granola, which is mostly grain. I haven't made pizza or bread with spent grain, but I can't imagine the husks would be an issue since the grain is a minor ingredient.

What about the husks on the spent grains?

If you had an efficient mash - pretty much the only thing left is husk. Most of the actual 'grain' has converted to a syrup.

I made bread with this a few times. Less is more. I added way to much to my first batch, and it had the texture of eating bread with crushed plastic inside. Not good.

When I worked at the Brewery, I did a lot of experimenting with spent grains in the kitchen. Tried a pizza dough, bread and even a beer batter for fish and chips using the spent grains.

I wasn't happy with anything except a batch of dog biscuits and that's only because I didn't have to eat them.

Never did try to grind or mill them into a powder though. Since there isn't much flavor in them I was going for the 'LOOK' of the grain and it just didn't work out very well.

So I stuck with using beer or wort in recipes in things from Mustard to BBQ sauce to cakes and ice cream. I left the spent grains for the pig farmer.

If you had an efficient mash - pretty much the only thing left is husk. Most of the actual 'grain' has converted to a syrup.

I made bread with this a few times. Less is more. I added way to much to my first batch, and it had the texture of eating bread with crushed plastic inside. Not good.

I guess because I just soaked the specialty grains for an extract I had more sugar and flavor. I did like the consistency of this dough and I think making the thick grain mixture in the food processor helped. I'll try this again with my next all grain batch and report back.

I can't believe I have the patience and time to brew and feel I don't have the time to do this, it sounds great.

I tried this a couple times and my wife and I liked the results so much that when we hosted our family Christmas dinner we rolled out dough for everyone and let them top their own pizzas. Everyone enjoyed it and we had the beer that the grains came from along with it. I'm not sure if there are any pictures but we had a huge array of toppings on the breakfast bar, plus corn meal was flying all over the place. Thanks again for the great recipe.

Mmmmm, spent grain pizza, that sounds good. There's a microbrewery in Seattle that puts spent grain in their burger buns and it's frickin delicious.

Mmmmm, spent grain pizza, that sounds good. There's a microbrewery in Seattle that puts spent grain in their burger buns and it's frickin delicious.

They also do a spent grain brownie with the stout float. Delicious.

you can dry the grain on a fabric screen over a radiator style space heater.
It takes about 2 days to dry 3 pounds, then I use a coffee mill to turn it into dust. makes a fine all grain pizza crust and bread.
I also use the grist to spawn white button and portobello mushrooms.
P.S it will make your house smell like Milwaukee

Mmmmm I'll have to try this!!! The best secret I've gotten to making incredible home made pizza is..........sausage tossed in sugar!!! Its like the MSG of Chinese Food :D

Arise ye, from the dead!

7 year old thread, however I've been using this recipe and technique for the past 5 years. We end up using closer to 4 or 4.5 cups of flour to get the right texture. We've done both thin crust and thicker crust, in the oven and on the grill, on a cookie sheet and a baking stone. All have turned out great!

A few tips:
  • Grains from dark beers are more visually pleasing (think stouts or browns)
  • This dough will roll thin, it just takes some patience
  • It does freeze well, great for making a big batch for later
  • We bake at 425F, depending on crust thickness, takes around 15-18 minutes
  • Baste the crust with olive oil halfway through baking, makes a nice "crunch" on the crust

I make bread the old fashioned way all the time. Only thing ive changed is i use a mixer to mix it up. I recommend the bread bakers apprentice as a starter book if you're serious about it.

That being said, ive used spent grains from time to time. Nothing special to me except texture. Thw real flavor comes from how you prepare the pre ferment or soaker etc. Time and temp can make 4 ingredients taste completely different. Again if youre serious snag that book.

I make a cold ferment pizza dough that rises when baked about 3 times it initial thickness. Its absolutely the best. Add some grains and it will be even better

Back