Blackberry Wine ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Just a few things I'm toying with mentally, so would appreciate some advice if possible!

The book I have (Home Made Wines and Beers, 1983!) recommends making a "Blackberry Port" from wild blackberries which I'm going to pick later, instead of a wine as such. This uses Raisins, Sugar and 2 ripe bananas instead of concentrated grape juice, apparently due to an increased flavor, tannins and acid in the non-cultivated version.

I'm not bothered either way, but I'd just like some opinions and past recipes etc. It's likely this info is quite outed! hahah. I'm not expecting a great haul of blackberries so some info on what sugar etc to use if required would be useful :)

This year I made 7 gal of a Blackberry Port. I used Jack Keller's receipe for a full body blackberry wine oaked it and then when brink got to 10% I poured .92 gal of 190 prof. everclear into it...will rack in two mo and again two mo later than bulk age...

This year I made 7 gal of a Blackberry Port. I used Jack Keller's receipe for a full body blackberry wine oaked it and then when brink got to 10% I poured .92 gal of 190 prof. everclear into it...will rack in two mo and again two mo later than bulk age...

I have a blackberry wine posted (from Jack Keller) and it's great. But if I was going to make a port with it, and I'd do something similar to this.

I'd ferment it out all the way, and add brandy soaked oak cubes. I'd rack it off of the oak after a month or so, and add more brandy until I got to a "port" ABV of around 20-21%. The wine would be around 12% itself.

Or, you could do incremental feeding of the wine with bananas and raisins, and possibly push the ABV up to 18% if you used champange yeast in the beginning. I think you'd get better results with just making the wine, and then boosting the flavor and ABV up with brandy.

It's strange as there's nothing in the recipe about actually making it like port. I think it's "port" (in quotation marks) as it's not actually port, but a sort of nickname. Meh.

262586_2316935891148_1482008255_2626190_7855103_n.jpg

Massive amount of Blackberries behind my house due to brambles growing at a ridiculous rate. 1.5lb collected so far, more to come!

Back