First Impressions, of first homebrew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
So my first batch died, and I quickly got started on another first batch. I did a Bavarian Hefe from AHS. It has been bottle for 12 days, and pours nicely with about an inch of head in my pint glass. It is slightly dark, which doesn't offend me. I did a late addition, but perhaps my heat was to high and it was LME. There is a bit of sweet aftertaste that I get with bigger beers, but overall I think it tastes great. My faith has been restored from my devastating loss of my first brew. Sunny skies from here on out!

Have faith,
Your beer will only get better with time and experience!

Cheers,
Brad

I too am finding out that my beers are better as I brew more. Some of the stuff that seemed to make brewing tedius and worriesome has become more second-nature. That allows me to focus on other details.

Also, I have more of the right equipment, and that also makes it easier.

BleedsDogFish said:
So my first batch died, and I quickly got started on another first batch. I did a Bavarian Hefe from AHS. It has been bottle for 12 days, and pours nicely with about an inch of head in my pint glass. It is slightly dark, which doesn't offend me. I did a late addition, but perhaps my heat was to high and it was LME. There is a bit of sweet aftertaste that I get with bigger beers, but overall I think it tastes great. My faith has been restored from my devastating loss of my first brew. Sunny skies from here on out!

It probably won't be that sweet for much longer. 12 days isn't quite enough time for the yeast to eat up all of that priming sugar. I always sample 1 at 14 days just to make sure they are carbing, but what a difference 1 or 2 more weeks make!

HOOTER said:
That rocks! :rockin:

BTW, just out of curiosity, what happened to your first brew?

This explains it all....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60420

While this hefe is not 100 percent perfect, it's drinkable and delicious and it's mine. I haven't felt this stoked since I don't know when. I have an Arrogant Bastard fermenting now and I am really stoked about that as well. I have the summer off from college, so let the beer flow like the salmon of Capistrano!

BleedsDogFish said:
This explains it all

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. Way to get back right back up on your horse and get back to it! Your patience and persistence will be rewarded, no doubt.

There is a bit of sweet aftertaste that I get with bigger beers, but overall I think it tastes great.

The sweetness may be the "twang" that so many extract brewers complain about. I thought all my extract brew recipes were flawed because of an undesirable "twangy" sweetness. Then my first AG wiped the thought from my mind.

Did you hit your FG before you bottled?

Well my apt stays about 70 all the time, and never goes above 74. Sometimes at night it might delve into the high 60's. But I wouldn't suspect that the temp range left the 68 to 72 region....

Infection.........although I went ahead and bottled from under the skunk on that first batch. About half of the bottle had the ring of death around the top. I opened a couple to make sure and they were terrible and gushy.....however about half didnt have the ring and I tried one and it tasted great. So for those that remember my saga I guess it wasnt a total loss. The good bottles actually taste better than this hefe.

Back