Priming sugar adjustment after crash cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
Brewed an american brown about 3 weeks ago and it's still in primary. It has been crash cooling at 36F for about 3 days.

Now it's time to bottle and the online priming sugars are confusing the hell out of me with their "temperature" input. Can't I just let the carboy warm up to room temp for a couple hours then rack onto the standard 4.5oz of priming sugar then bottle? The calculators are giving me all these crazy low amounts of sugar to add when I play with the temp input.

Also, there should still be enough yeast to carb in the bottle without pitching more right? I mean I only crashed it for 3 days.

P.S. I am unable to RDWHAHB on this one since it's my first all-grain, and I don't wanna let a carbonation issue ruin what has gone perfectly so far.

Use the temperature it fermented at in any priming sugar carbonation calculators.

Don't worry about the yeast, even after your cold crash it will carbonate fine with what's in the beer.

EDIT: Also, you don't have to raise the temp before racking or adding the priming solution. In fact, it is better to rack while it is still cold.

Crash cooling won't affect the carbonation or the amount of priming sugar you use.

The reason the calculators are wonky is because cooler fermentations "hold" onto more co2. But you didn't have a cool fermentation- you fermented it at normal ale temperatures. Since more co2 isn't produced after fermentation, and none would be produced by crash cooling (which makes the yeast go dormant anyway), you use the highest temperature the beer was at during or after active fermentation.

In short, use the temperature you fermented the beer at or let it sit at if you raised the temperature at or near the end.

Crash cooling won't affect the carbonation or the amount of priming sugar you use.

The reason the calculators are wonky is because cooler fermentations "hold" onto more co2. But you didn't have a cool fermentation- you fermented it at normal ale temperatures. Since more co2 isn't produced after fermentation, and none would be produced by crash cooling (which makes the yeast go dormant anyway), you use the highest temperature the beer was at during or after active fermentation.

In short, use the temperature you fermented the beer at or let it sit at if you raised the temperature at or near the end.

This is such a critical part of bottling, but it is such a difficult thing to wrap your head around the first time.

Back