Spike Brewing Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purchased my second spikes 10 gal but this one with sight glass..... please fedex dont break it

just got my kettle. One of the welds is pretty ugly hoping it doesnt leak.. will update

1406946272682.jpg

1406946302116.jpg

Well it holds hot water just fine. I will say it again. I will and have recomended spikes to friends. My friend really likes hit kettle and will be ordering a second soon

In the spectrum of welds we've seen here, that one is not ugly at all.

The inside one (1st pic left hand side of pic) had some black "crystallizing" on it. Other than that it holds water so im happy. I was comparing to my 1st kettles welds.

The inside one (1st pic left hand side of pic) had some black "crystallizing" on it. Other than that it holds water so im happy. I was comparing to my 1st kettles welds.

It looks like the bottom part of the weld had a low Argon flow. The weld should be fine as we passivate them. However if you would like an exchange or if there is ever an issue just let us know and we'll make it right!

-Ben

It looks like the bottom part of the weld had a low Argon flow. The weld should be fine as we passivate them. However if you would like an exchange or if there is ever an issue just let us know and we'll make it right!

-Ben

Ill keep you informed... its my new boil kettle and my next batch will be in Sept. Im sure it will be fine and you have always been more than helpful when my last kettle arrived cracked ... thanks for the good service

These guys have been excellent to work with. Pulled a bonehead move when installing my sight glass, and snapped the top piece off inside the elbow. (no, unfortunately there had been no consumption of alcohol as yet that day, so I can't even blame that). Once I got the measurements they needed, Ben and Co. got me a new one in the mail right away (very inexpensive too...I ordered a couple extras....jus in case....lol). My Kettle was very nice when I got it, welds looked great.....I am definitely going to order another one from Spike when it's time. I cannot speak to the other companies out there, and what experiences others have had, but for me, it'll be Spike Kettles all the way....

I enjoy mine as well. I have a 15 gallon. It's definitely more oval shaped at the top than circular, but that doesn't affect anything that I care about.

I enjoy mine as well. I have a 15 gallon. It's definitely more oval shaped at the top than circular, but that doesn't affect anything that I care about.

Sounds like it may have been squished during shipping. Turn the kettle on its side and have the oblong sides facing up and down. Push down or sit on the top. That should round it back out. Sometimes I swear FedEx kicks or drops them out of the plane as they pass overhead :drunk:

Sounds like it may have been squished during shipping. Turn the kettle on its side and have the oblong sides facing up and down. Push down or sit on the top. That should round it back out. Sometimes I swear FedEx kicks or drops them out of the plane as they pass overhead :drunk:

Ha, good idea! I'll do that. Thanks Ben.

Fed ex destroys the boxes. Both boxes for both kettles had a circle hole punched through the box where the welded fiting poked through it. I think thats how the 1st kettle cracked.

Just pulled the trigger on a 15 gal pot, shhhhh....don't tell the wife. Get busy Spike and send me my brew pot!

Fed ex destroys the boxes. Both boxes for both kettles had a circle hole punched through the box where the welded fitting poked through it. I think thats how the 1st kettle cracked.

Packaging is something we've been working on for awhile. People (including us) don't realize how expensive packaging is! We've had our FedEx rep out to our facility a few times and they have made some great recommendations. We've practically eliminated denting on the bottom from shipping. We will be moving to custom made double wall heavy duty boxes in about a month. That should take care of any couplers poking through.

Just pulled the trigger on a 15 gal pot, shhhhh....don't tell the wife. Get busy Spike and send me my brew pot!

This will be going out today. We won't tell the wife. We'll mark it as "exercise equipment" ;)

just got my kettle. One of the welds is pretty ugly hoping it doesnt leak.. will update

The weld on the outside looks fine, but the black crystallization on the inside is because Spike doesn't back purge, which I believe they said they don't do earlier in this thread.

The weld on the outside looks fine, but the black crystallization on the inside is because Spike doesn't back purge, which I believe they said they don't do earlier in this thread.

Just to clear the air this is false. We fully back purge each weld producing a sanitary weld.

As long as it doesnt contaminate wort, leak, or rust I am perfecly happy with a slightly "ugly" weld. He also stated he would exchange it if I wished... right now a slightly ugly weld is more appealing than shipping a big ol kettle back.

Just to clear the air this is false. We fully back purge each weld producing a sanitary weld.

It's good to hear that you are now back purging. I did not see that update in this thread, so sorry if I posted false info, but you never did come back to say that you are now back purging. Your kettles look nice. The Concord pots are what I chose for my system because they make a lot of sense.

It's good to hear that you are now back purging. I did not see that update in this thread, so sorry if I posted false info, but you never did come back to say that you are now back purging. Your kettles look nice. The Concord pots are what I chose for my system because they make a lot of sense.

If you check out post #78 you'll see the updated pics. We do not use the 'Concord' kettle. We've invested a lot into our new thicker improved kettle.

I bought mine in January of this year, and have used it several times. I have no complaints, other than I wish I had a second one. ;)
Thanks again to Spike Brewing for a great product!

20140115_164633.jpg

20140217_133320.jpg

So I got my new glass tubes for my sight glass, (couple extras TYVM), and it reminded me of another great thing about Spike..... Understand, I am not a Indiana Brown Bat lovin' tree hugger by any stretch, but I do appreciate reasonable efforts to maintain the environment. Spike uses the corn starch based 'peanuts' for shipping, not space and landfill wasting styrofoam ones. I love being able to dump them in the sink and wash 'em away!

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

So, do you have any pics of the kettles you now use? The ones on the website look like they are still pics of Concord kettles?

Sooo I spoke a little too soon since we don't have the new kettles on the site yet. Still shipping old stock. They will be updated shortly.

So I got my new glass tubes for my sight glass, (couple extras TYVM), and it reminded me of another great thing about Spike..... Understand, I am not a Indiana Brown Bat lovin' tree hugger by any stretch, but I do appreciate reasonable efforts to maintain the environment. Spike uses the corn starch based 'peanuts' for shipping, not space and landfill wasting styrofoam ones. I love being able to dump them in the sink and wash 'em away!

We're glad someone noticed the smaller things that we do at SB. Nobody likes peanuts because they make a mess and will still be around long after us humans are gone but these corn starch peanuts are great! They don't have that static charge that makes them stick to everything and they are 100% biodegradable. The company that we buy them from says they are good for compost! :rockin:

Aaahhhh, didn't even think of compost. Great idea, introduces a short term 'space' for increase of air, then dissolves away.... I like it!

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

Found out my spikes kettle leaked at the handle rivet. They are replacing it pronto. Found this out while i was brewing... glad my boil was only 6.4 gallons anothe .06 it would of leaked durring boil. Again great CS from spikes, hope i get one of those newer kettles. too bad i didnt win that awesome fermenter! !!!! I will still recomend spikes to anyone

Ben is awesome. Ive saved a lot going through spikes. When i had issues ben personally emails me and makes it right...go 'merica. Thanks spikes thanks Ben! New shipper lol ;) i bet a lot of your returns are due to this

All I can say is WOW! Ordered yesterday and on my doorstep today! Thanks Spike Brewing for a great kettle and quick shipping!

Ben, thanks for answering my questions I had about my kettle inquiry to possibly replace my keggles. May just start off with a MT for my budget.

Must give a shout out to Ben. Ordered on Monday and in my garage by Tuesday. Totally awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My kettle had a rivot leak and mine was replaced in my house later that week... sending yours monday or tuesday with return label... thanks ben i filled this one up to the top... no leaks

Hi Ben,

I'm possibly in the market for a 30 gallon kettle. My current and first kettle is 15 gallons, but I've found that brewing 10 gallon batches in it requires constant attention and effort. A 30 gallon kettle would therefore give me easy room for 10 and room to grow to 15 and possibly even 20.

I came across your website, and in decided to look up reviews I came across this thread. I have several questions:

1). The V3 kettle comes with the 2 stage false bottom - a dumb question here: are they easily removable for easy cleanings? With very high hop batches, is there a chance they would clog? My 15 gallon kettle has a mesh screen that will clog easily in any batches with a lot of hops, so I don't even use it in those cases.

2). Posters here are giving excellent reviews with regards to customer service, however, a number have indicated that this is prompted by certain problems such as cracks or leaks. My concern is that I live in a Canadian border town (where I can pick stuff up on the US side, but then I have to get it across the border). Normally this is not an insurmountable problem, but would be an exceptional pain in the behind compared to US based customers if I had to do an exchanges due to a problem. Is it possible for your company to assemble any ordered parts (such as the thermometer, ball valve, etc, and test it for leaks before shipping so as to proactively avoid getting to experience the after the fact excellent customer service?

Thanks very much for taking the time to discuss issues with your customers and potential customers in this forum. I should disclose that I'm not 100% sure that I'm ready for a new kettle yet, so by all means feel free to keep your answers brief. I don't mean to be that guy that takes all of a salesman's time and then doesn't pull the trigger.

Hi Ben,

I'm possibly in the market for a 30 gallon kettle. My current and first kettle is 15 gallons, but I've found that brewing 10 gallon batches in it requires constant attention and effort. A 30 gallon kettle would therefore give me easy room for 10 and room to grow to 15 and possibly even 20.

I came across your website, and in decided to look up reviews I came across this thread. I have several questions:

1). The V3 kettle comes with the 2 stage false bottom - a dumb question here: are they easily removable for easy cleanings? With very high hop batches, is there a chance they would clog? My 15 gallon kettle has a mesh screen that will clog easily in any batches with a lot of hops, so I don't even use it in those cases.

2). Posters here are giving excellent reviews with regards to customer service, however, a number have indicated that this is prompted by certain problems such as cracks or leaks. My concern is that I live in a Canadian border town (where I can pick stuff up on the US side, but then I have to get it across the border). Normally this is not an insurmountable problem, but would be an exceptional pain in the behind compared to US based customers if I had to do an exchanges due to a problem. Is it possible for your company to assemble any ordered parts (such as the thermometer, ball valve, etc, and test it for leaks before shipping so as to proactively avoid getting to experience the after the fact excellent customer service?

Thanks very much for taking the time to discuss issues with your customers and potential customers in this forum. I should disclose that I'm not 100% sure that I'm ready for a new kettle yet, so by all means feel free to keep your answers brief. I don't mean to be that guy that takes all of a salesman's time and then doesn't pull the trigger.

1) A false bottom is not designed for hop material. Any false bottom will plug when used with hops. You'll need a hop spider, hop bag, or something with a 300-400 micron filter size. To answer your question here is how the FB installs:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpt9H5_kPMo[/ame]

2) I haven't gone through the thread but we very rarely (maybe a couple/year) have any leaks with out kettles. Everything is tested before going out.

When you're ready let us know. For future reference it might be easier to shoot us an email if you have questions as it's hit or miss if we will see it on the forum.

-Tim

I ordered the 15 gal with valve and temp gauge. When i finally get back home it will there. Plan to brew that weekend with my new Blichmann burner also. Two new toys in one shot. Got to love Christmas presents to yourself.
Happy Brewing New Year.

Back