You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...you spend your Friday nights drawing the last details of your keezer build, reading HBT, and drinking beer. But not necessarily in that order... :drunk:

Just remembered a random one

Back in middle school we did one of those murder mystery problems. We were given a list of suspects and had to eliminate suspects based on the facts of the story (ie it couldn't have been John because the forensic analyst suggests the killer was right handed, but John signed his statement with his left hand).
One of the suspects was somehow allergic to grapes, and since there appeared to be two half finished wine glasses at the crime scene, we were to eliminate that suspect. I didn't get it right because I knew wine didn't HAVE to be made from grapes.

You know you're destined to be a homebrewer when you know more about brewing at 11 years old than the publisher of a textbook.

You try to figure out a way to move your brewing equipment to the basement and still have room for the family in case you need to take shelter for a tornado warning.
- True story... and I'm a consulting meteorologist. I opted to leave it in the garage. Last rest of my decoction mash ended up going for 3 1/2 hours as I had to help clients through the storms. Brew day done at 1am. -

When most of your garage and basement is brewing gear, bottles, posters and signs of commercial beers, your kids start to taste your unfermented wort and tell you that its not hoppy enough, when your wife asks if there will ever be a night that is not all about beer.....

You are watching the spin cycle happen in your washing machine and wonder if the same thing could be used to pull wort out of a BIAB setup instead of the traditional squeeze. You search Craigslist for old washers to mod as a mash tun.

Your new fridge has a measured pour on the dispenser in the door and you ponder using it for filling your HLT for your brewing water. Then realize that you are going to have to do this by the oz, and that the filters for refrigerators are ridiculously expensive.

You know you are a homebrewer if there isn't a bottle of beer on the planet that when you pour it you don't leave a 1/4 inch of brew in the bottom just in case you want to harvest the yeast out of it.

When you find three bottles of a batch that you thought you had kicked and it feels better than when you find a $50 bill in an old pair of jeans on laundry day.

When you're ready to go paleo on a certain microsoft engineer for erasing BS2 when you told him not to right before he signs off!:mad:

Beersmith guy helped me get my stuff back. Definitely gotta use the cloud this time. Got crushed grains sealed up & stuff outta the freezer/fridge to try again this morning.

When you read "Brian Williams and his camera crew were riding in a Chinook helicopter across the desert." and you picture a big hop cone with blades spinning around above it.

When you read "Brian Williams and his camera crew were riding in a Chinook helicopter across the desert." and you picture a big hop cone with blades spinning around above it.

Thats awesome. When my boy was about 3 he called helicopters hopcopters. Fits perfectly lol

When your list of beers in the fermenters/bottles/casks/etc is long enough that HBT won't let you fit it all in your signature without abbreviating stuff.

You find love at the bottom of a beer glass...

heart glass.jpg

And that is not photo shopped!

:mug:

When you're sitting over a bowl of Sugar Smacks and start going over the feasibility of cloning the flavor in a homebrew.

When you brew your coffee in the morning and always add a good pinch of roasted barley cause it just does not have the same depth without it. (Seriously, this is amazing)

When you have to lower the temperature of your entire apartment to control fermentation and now feel like 68 is really warm and 71 makes you sweat during light physical exercise (even though you are in shape).

When your fridge is 95% beer and 5% food (everywhere beer does not fit), with the rest of the food residing on the balcony since it is cool enough right now, but not stable enough for beer.

When you start making vanilla extract and vinegar because you realize how little effort it takes and what they charge in the store does not seem right. Thanks home brewing for teaching the skill of patience.
:mug:

When you show the wife how PBW cleaned the haze from the inside of the
ss cooking pot after you boiled your hop socks in it.

When you brew your coffee in the morning and always add a good pinch of roasted barley cause it just does not have the same depth without it. (Seriously, this is amazing)

Sounds good, I bet it would remind me of Postum...used to have that when I was a kid... I may have to get a few ounces of roasted barley next time I'm at the LHBS and try this!

I now have 2 sinks in my basement brewery/wood shop. One deep utility sink and a single kitchen sink. I love it.

Beer in twist off bottles just makes you sad. I could drink 1000 Shiner beers and I'll never enjoy it. Throwing out perfectly nice glass that just got molded wrong is awful.

Latest posts

Back