Stout turned brown during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin0

Reaction score
I did my second brew the other day, made Papazian's Cushlomachree stout. Everything went great during the brew, hit the OG dead-on, etc. I used brewer's choice activator and a volcano of fermentation was going within 6 hours of pitching the yeast. I left town for the night and apparently my electricity went out, so my house temperature dropped from around 73F to 60F. When I got back the foam wasn't flowing through the blow-off tube anymore, which didn't really bother me, but the beer turned from deep black to a dark brown sometime while I was gone. I'm not too worried about it because I still have an active fermentation going, but I wasn't expecting the color to change at this point. I'm assuming the color change is from the yeast, and that it will clear up eventually, but I was curious if anyone else has seen this kind of thing before.

Color of the beer during fermentation is rarely a good sign of what the end product will look like. I've been amazed at the changes sometimes.

I would venture to guess that the color was a result of a lot of yeast in suspension, munching away at sugar. But nevertheless, there's nothing to worry about and definitely nothing to worry about.

Mike

I would venture to guess that the color was a result of a lot of yeast in suspension, munching away at sugar. But nevertheless, there's nothing to worry about and definitely nothing to worry about.

+1. I had that happen with one of my bitters, as well. While it finished with a beautiful amber color, at one point during fermentation it had taken on a beige-like color that almost seemed milky at times. If I sat and stared hard enough at the carboy, I could actually see little "streams" of yeast moving to the top and falling back out.

Back