When to rack my Honey Weizen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nollie11

Reaction score
Guys,

For my 2nd ever batch...

I bought this pretty popular Honey Weizen kit from Northern Brewer. It is in its 7th day of primary fermentation and bubbling has slowed to once every 8-10 seconds. I have some buddies coming over to brew a batch of beer and I wanted to know if now would also be a good time to rack the Honey Weizen to the secondary 5-gal carboy? Here are the instructions in the recipe kit:

15. Active fermentation ends. Approximately one week
to two weeks after brewing day, active fermentation will
end. When the cap of foam falls back into the new beer,
bubbling in the fermentation lock slows down or stops,
and the specific gravity as measured with a hydrometer is
stable, proceed to the next step.

• Based on the rate of bubbling, is it best to avoid racking until bubbling stops totally?

If you wish to use a secondary (many people do not), as the instructions said anytime from about 7 to 14 days is fine. Now that you have noticed the airlock bubbles slowing down, its a good time as any.

Having said that, airlock activity is not really a good sign of much at all, and as you get to know your yeast/fermentation, you'll learn from experience what to do when.

Latest posts

Back