Help with my numbers and general help please.. (currently at starting brew stage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I mashed at around 150-160 (varied around the mash tun) for 60 minutes.

I was a little generous with the water after the first sparge and ended up with an extra gallon or so of wort.

12lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs chocolate
.75 lbs crystal 60
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb flaked oats

I started in the mash tun with 6-6.5 gallons of water taking into consideration the false bottom and grain absorbtion.

I heated up almost 4.5 gallons of water for sparge.

I've got after draining it.. my 6.7 gallons of wort plus the extra gallon to gallon and a half.

The estimated SG of the wort preboil accorind to beer smith is 1.052. I've corrected temperature wise with that and have 1.055 (wort is at 130degrees right now)...

I have not done anything with the remaining wort and will save it for something here today, not sure what.

How do I even start to calculate my efficiency?
Ideas on the extra gallon or so? another batch? starter material?

i'm proceeding now but am curious if it sounds like I got good efficiency even with the extra gallon or so.

final gravity post boil is supposed to be 1.070ish so wish me luck.

sorry, kitchen full of stuff and i'm a little flustered.. hahahaha

edit:: the preboil sample is testing now with the temperature factor... at 1.057

thanks
jake

i always keep some malt extract around in case i have efficiency issues, and i can't tell you what your efficiency is. i only know what i get because of how close i get to recipes

if you have beer smith it shoudl tell you what you are getting.

if i have extra wort i just put it in a jug and freeze it after i get a bunch i boil and make a beer out if it gets rather fun.

ok..

SG before the boil was 1.050 (estimated 1.052) so I was close.

In about 10 minutes I'll have the OG and will compare that.

The wort is chilling right now and then I'm going to drop it in the carboy.

My post was so disorganized. I didn't realize that I pretty much hit my preboil gravity because I didn't take into account the temperature of the liquid. I also managed to hit it pretty much on and have an extra gallon or so extra.

I might make a small batch with it or save for starters.

I'm more relaxed knowing I came close.

Back