This recipe calls for Acid Blend, Tannin and Nutrient...??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are they and are they truly necessary? The recipe calls for portions of these items, but the directions don't say when to add. During the boil? Primary/Secondary?? Just curious!?!

What recipe?

I have added those items in making wine, but it was just mixing grape concentrate with water, sugar, and those items in the primary before pitching yeast.

Generally, acid blend and tannin are "to taste" so you can leave them out but the wine will taste better with the additions almost always. It's like making spaghetti sauce, and leaving out the garlic and oregano. Not a real issue, but better with the seasoning! If you don't have it now, and find that the wine can benefit from it later, you can always add it later on.

Nutrient is for the yeast. Many fruits have enough nutrient for the yeast, but some are more acidic than others so nutrient is useful for good yeast health.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will use them both, as I want good tasting wine.

The recipes are from a book I found at my local wine shop. I am making 1g recipes; just misc fruit wines. I want to toy with different flavors. When I think I get somewhat good at wine making, I will advance to the 5g volumes.

What are they and are they truly necessary? The recipe calls for portions of these items, but the directions don't say when to add. During the boil? Primary/Secondary?? Just curious!?!

first of all what are you boiling??? second of all these things are best added to the primary fermenter after the mix is cool but before you pitch the yeast. What about pectic enzyme??? it is good to use as well.

The recipes are from a book I found at my local wine shop.

What book are you using???

first of all what are you boiling???

This particular recipe calls to boil the dried fruit. Fresh fruit I understand, but dried fruit seems interesting. I think I would want to boil dried fruit, even for 15 minutes like the recipe calls for, to help release the sugars and such. See picture for recipe.

second of all these things are best added to the primary fermenter after the mix is cool but before you pitch the yeast. What about pectic enzyme??? it is good to use as well.

I have heard of pectic enzyme, but it also is on the list of things I will eventually understand. This particular recipe didn't call for pectic enzyme or campden tablets.

What book are you using???

IMAG0456.jpg

IMAG0457.jpg

step 3 is where the directions want you to add the other stuff. You can steep the dried fruit in hot water and get the same effect with out bringing it to a boil which will cook the fruit. I would use a candy thermometer and heat the water to about 160. I would also heat all the water and dissolve the sugar in the hot water after you have steeped the dried fruit at that temp for an hour or so. You can also put the bag of fruit in the primary fermenter for the firs week this will impart more flavor and give the yeast a little more to chew on.

step 3 is where the directions want you to add the other stuff. You can steep the dried fruit in hot water and get the same effect with out bringing it to a boil which will cook the fruit. I would use a candy thermometer and heat the water to about 160. I would also heat all the water and dissolve the sugar in the hot water after you have steeped the dried fruit at that temp for an hour or so. You can also put the bag of fruit in the primary fermenter for the firs week this will impart more flavor and give the yeast a little more to chew on.

Oh cool, great information!!

Back