Hello from the Poconos of NEPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfuriosi

Reaction score
I've been hooked on making IPAs lately and have a little local club on facebook. Getting ready to try brewing a belgian strong. Had an awesome blackberry stout last winter. Hooked!!!

I'm in the Poconos too -- welcome! Always looking for other local homebrewers. Do you have a local homebrew shop in the area, or do you have to rely on mail order?

I'm a little south of you guys, Easton, PA to be exact, but I'm also ready to try a good Belgian Beer.

I rely on either keystone in bethlehem or mail order. If you use facebook we have a bunch of homebrewers in pocono beer club. Request to join and i'll add you.

Beerweasel said:
I'm a little south of you guys, Easton, PA to be exact, but I'm also ready to try a good Belgian Beer.

Easton is beer paradise with weyerbacher, and keystone/ abes not too far!!'

annasdadhockey said:
Whereabouts in the Poconos? I grew up in Tannersville.
Welcome

I lived in tannersville for two years and have been in marshalla creek for 11 years. I grew up in upstate ny.

Absolutely a beer paradise. I live two blocks from Wyerbacher. There are so many great craft beer pubs/bars to venture to. Keep your eyes and ears open, an aquaintance of mine is opening a brew pub on 6th and Northamton st. Twin Rivers brewing.

Hey im from Long Island but i have a summer home in the Poconos, in Moscow to be exact. I always take a trip to Barley Creek in Tannersville on the way up and i was wondering what your opinion was of that. Also, are there any other brew pubs in the area?

Mainyusrapture said:
Hey im from Long Island but i have a summer home in the Poconos, in Moscow to be exact. I always take a trip to Barley Creek in Tannersville on the way up and i was wondering what your opinion was of that. Also, are there any other brew pubs in the area?

My opinion of barley creek has changed. They were pretty mediocre until they hired joe who is making two cask brews a week. Joe set up a pilot brewery there and i got to brew with him. We made a triple ipa with a wheat base and it rocked! I liked hos bourbon cask ipa. Before Joe I stuck to another phenomenal place near me called the Gem and keystone in delaware water gap. Joe is a big fan of them too.

Beerweasel said:
Absolutely a beer paradise. I live two blocks from Wyerbacher. There are so many great craft beer pubs/bars to venture to. Keep your eyes and ears open, an aquaintance of mine is opening a brew pub on 6th and Northamton st. Twin Rivers brewing.

Thats awesome. Easton was supposed to get a victory brew pub but I guess it fell through.

Thats awesome. Easton was supposed to get a victory brew pub but I guess it fell through.

ugh, in my opinion, lets hope it did fall through. victory is being branded as the greatest beer in pa, similar to how yeungling was branded that in the 80's and 90's. i can't stand victory. no commercial beer should have more floating particles than a homebrew does (ie, Moonglow).

I will credit victory for making some great food though at their downingtown brewpub.
Welcome:rockin:

My opinion of barley creek has changed. They were pretty mediocre until they hired joe who is making two cask brews a week. Joe set up a pilot brewery there and i got to brew with him. We made a triple ipa with a wheat base and it rocked! I liked hos bourbon cask ipa. Before Joe I stuck to another phenomenal place near me called the Gem and keystone in delaware water gap. Joe is a big fan of them too.

Is Joe the taller dirty blonde guy that gives the brewery tours? If so he really knew his stuff. Barley Creek being mediocre is probably the best assesment..i mean i love what they are doing but in terms of overall quality it is a far cry from some other places their size. I stopped by there last month and had their oatmeal stout which was actually pretty good but i am definitely not sold on their IPA or blonde ale for that matter.
Does that place by the delaware water gap have a website? I'd like to try it next time i'm up there.

Also, if you are not opposed to traveling a bit, Bethlehem, Pa has Fegley's Brewworks. Great beers. Awesome flagship beers and terrific seasonals. Every last Thursday of the month they do a firkin cask. The trip would be worth it since there is quite a bit to see in the town as well.

Yeah, the building they were looking at is still available and zoned for a brew pub, so the city is still pushing for something similar to go in there. I know I would appreciate it! If you ever get south again you should try out Triumph Brew Pub in New Hope, Pa. It's about an hour south of Easton on the river, pretty good beer.

Mainyusrapture said:
Is Joe the taller dirty blonde guy that gives the brewery tours? If so he really knew his stuff. Barley Creek being mediocre is probably the best assesment..i mean i love what they are doing but in terms of overall quality it is a far cry from some other places their size. I stopped by there last month and had their oatmeal stout which was actually pretty good but i am definitely not sold on their IPA or blonde ale for that matter.
Does that place by the delaware water gap have a website? I'd like to try it next time i'm up there.

That's Joe. He is slowly revamping the lineup. Gem and keystone are at shawneecraft.com i think. Just google shawnee craft. I don't dig the oatmeal stout but the ipa seems hoppier now. The brew we made is coming back at some point! Will be the new superhop.

annasdadhockey said:
I'll be there for a couple hours

Awesome! I just spoke to an organizer. Lots of cool things happening. Breaker brew and local homebrew samples. People having brewing demonstrations with full grain, partial mash, extract, etc. Equipment demonstrations. Brewer groups represented from nepa. Donations for flood relief!!!!!! Should be fun. Focus will be on home brewing and not a beer fest type event.

Awesome! I just spoke to an organizer. Lots of cool things happening. Breaker brew and local homebrew samples. People having brewing demonstrations with full grain, partial mash, extract, etc. Equipment demonstrations. Brewer groups represented from nepa. Donations for flood relief!!!!!! Should be fun. Focus will be on home brewing and not a beer fest type event.

I hope it goes well. We've been planning it for a couple months with Breaker and Pete from Simply Homebrew, as well as the other clubs in the area. We're hoping for a good turnout.

That's Joe. He is slowly revamping the lineup. Gem and keystone are at shawneecraft.com i think. Just google shawnee craft. I don't dig the oatmeal stout but the ipa seems hoppier now. The brew we made is coming back at some point! Will be the new superhop.

I'll definitely stop by again next spring and look out for your beer! Also, Shawnee craft looks pretty nice.

Hi all, I'm also from the Pocono area. Tannersville to be exact. I teach over at Northampton Community College. Unfortunately, work has kept me from brewing since this summer--just haven't had the time. Soon I hope.

I'm of the same opinion about Barley Creek. The last time I was there (early summer), I did a tasting of most of their lineup, and I can't say I was very impressed with any of it. I bought a growler of something...I think it was their golden ale, and was somewhat annoyed that I spent the money on it after a glass or two.

Gem and Keystone! Yes. I've only been there once so far, but I did a tasting of all their beer as well, and damn, head and shoulders above Barely Creek (in my humble opinion). The growler prices were a little steep I thought, but the beer was outstanding. They had a stout (if I remember correctly) on nitro that was very tasty. They also said they had some cask conditioned stuff coming soon, though I haven't been back.

:mug:

onipar said:
Hi all, I'm also from the Pocono area. Tannersville to be exact. I teach over at Northampton Community College. Unfortunately, work has kept me from brewing since this summer--just haven't had the time. Soon I hope.

I'm of the same opinion about Barley Creek. The last time I was there (early summer), I did a tasting of most of their lineup, and I can't say I was very impressed with any of it. I bought a growler of something...I think it was their golden ale, and was somewhat annoyed that I spent the money on it after a glass or two.

Gem and Keystone! Yes. I've only been there once so far, but I did a tasting of all their beer as well, and damn, head and shoulders above Barely Creek (in my humble opinion). The growler prices were a little steep I thought, but the beer was outstanding. They had a stout (if I remember correctly) on nitro that was very tasty. They also said they had some cask conditioned stuff coming soon, though I haven't been back.

:mug:

If you use facebook i seriously reccommend signing up for pocono beer club as we have homebrewers, Joe, gem and keystone and brushy mtn nanobrewery on there. If we schedule any events i'll be sure to advertize here! I'm hoping barley creek has its facelift and returns to the good ole days. I hear the original brewer shares recipes with the new one! The last two just promoted mediocrity.

annasdadhockey said:
I hope it goes well. We've been planning it for a couple months with Breaker and Pete from Simply Homebrew, as well as the other clubs in the area. We're hoping for a good turnout.

I'm wondering how much cash to bring! I'll be wearing a black shawnee craft shirt unless i'm in a two goats brewery mood!

If you use facebook i seriously reccommend signing up for pocono beer club as we have homebrewers, Joe, gem and keystone and brushy mtn nanobrewery on there. If we schedule any events i'll be sure to advertize here! I'm hoping barley creek has its facelift and returns to the good ole days. I hear the original brewer shares recipes with the new one! The last two just promoted mediocrity.

Sure thing, I'll join up. :mug: (I'll be Anthony on there).

If you use facebook i seriously reccommend signing up for pocono beer club as we have homebrewers, Joe, gem and keystone and brushy mtn nanobrewery on there. If we schedule any events i'll be sure to advertize here!

I can't find Pocono Beer Club on Facebook.

Back