Splitting a 10 Gallon Batch into 2 Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Hey folks.. I remember seeing someone post a pic of how they did this but I can't find it..

Hopefully soon I'll be stepping up to 10 gallon batches.. I use a keg converted to a keggle with a ball valve and normally use 1/2" silicon tubing into the fermenter with my 5 gallon batches..

After cool down, I was picturing having a "T" or "Y" connector coming off the valve and just running off the 10 gallons into 2 fermenters.. I'm thinking that as long as all the hosing is the same length it "should" separate equally??

OR, is there a problem with keeping the wort stirred up after cool down and filling one fermenter then the next?

Thanks for any advice...

I fill one carboy and then the next. It doesn't need to be complicated.

Well i didn't think it did.. i just remember seeing someones setup and wondered why they did it that way.. maybe just to fill them both at the same time to save time?

Thanks!

I remember a thread about that. I think that person was just being anal about getting equal amounts of trub into each fermenter.

This would be an ideal time to find a 15.5 gallon "sanke" to ferment the whold batch in at once...just sayin!

What Hammy said. One then the other works for me.

Yeah I do the same thing too. I hardly ever do a 5-gal batch, but I actually prefer using two fermenters (although one big fermenter would be cool to look at) for a few reasons: a ten gallon is really heavy, I can experiment with different yeasts on the exact same wort, and I can experiment with different hops/amounts for dry hopping.

Yeah I do the same thing too. I hardly ever do a 5-gal batch, but I actually prefer using two fermenters (although one big fermenter would be cool to look at) for a few reasons: a ten gallon is really heavy, I can experiment with different yeasts on the exact same wort, and I can experiment with different hops/amounts for dry hopping.

It's just 83 Lbs give or take :D

See, now I am obliged to make a reference to my wife and how if she couldn’t lift 83 lbs I would never get any action...but I wont.

Back