Question Re: Cleaning Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my Cooper Lager in four - five days. At that point the wort will have been in the carboy for approx 14 days.

Once bottled, I will need to clean the carboy of course. I planned on using a soft, non-abrasive sponge + dishwashing soap to remove the yeast crust on the top.

I read that dishwashing soap can leave a residue that is not the best for your beer. Has anyone used this method?

Also is there any other recommended methods to clean the carboy?

Please note that my question is towards cleaning and not sanitizing, as I use Star San for that.

From the Coopers FAQ:

http://coopers.com.au/me.../61084/brewing_faqs.pdf

To clean:
• Soak equipment in water until caked on residue is softened.
• Remove residue with a soft cloth and rinse thoroughly.
• Pay attention to ‘hard to get at’ areas.
• Remove and clean the tap, particularly the threads.
NOTE: Do not use any cleaning aid that may scratch the plastic.

I just let it soak for a day or so in water. I then dump half the water out and plug the carboy with a solid stopper. I shake it until all the residue is loose and dump the remainder of the water. I then rinse thoroughly with fresh hot water. I never use any soap.

Oxyclean unscented and warm water soak for 10 min. Drop in a soft wash cloth and give it a swirl. Rinse out and dry. Done.:rockin:

Oxyclean soak for a day ( or 7 if I forget ), dump some, shake, rinse. I use better bottles and they come out perfectly clean. I don't like to out anything in them, including a soft cloth.

Latest posts

Back