Harrisburg PA Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Well the family and I will be traveling to Hershey PA in a few weeks to stay for a couple of days (actually staying in Harrisburg) and to my surprise there are 3 breweries within about 15 minutes of our hotel. There is Troegs, Lancaster, and Applalachian Brewing Cos. Anyone ever been to any of these. I don't think I will get to make it to all three so I am thinking of at least going to Lancaster and Appalachian since they both have restaurants as well. Just looking to get some feedback. Also do the tours have age requirements? Meaning would I be able to bring my 4 year old girls?

Don't know about Tours, but I definitely recommend hitting Appalachian. Not sure if Troeg's does tours, but I know they dont have any bar or place to hang out. I've never done the tours, but so long as they're not in the tasting room, I doubt there's a problem with them walking through the tour.

I like App's Jolly Scot, and if they have it this early (doubtful) Kipona Fest.

From Lancaster, I really only like the Strawberry Wheat and a Saison that they had on tap years ago. The 4 Grain Ale is decent.

From Troegs, Troegenator is the only one I like.

If you can't get Victory easily back in OH, I recommend stocking up.

Troegs has a nice tasting room, all the free samples you want and typically test batches are available, I'm sure their website lists tour times, I think 1pm Saturday. ABC also gives tours at 2pm, I think, and is less than a mile from troegs. I have not been to Lancaster yet, there is also one called Bubies (sp) pronounced boobies in lancaster area. It is more of a brew pub, they have a cool old wine cavern you can dine in.

Talking to you I realize there is a lot of breweries here..

ABC also has a brew fest coming up soon. The local Homebrew club will have a table there.

I'm close to harrisburg, if you can't find details ahead of time let me know and I'll try to get the info you need.

Troegs ... tour times, I think 1pm Saturday. ABC also gives tours at 2pm, I think, and is less than a mile from troegs.
ABC tours are at 1 and Troegs are at 2, both on Saturday.

there is also one called Bubies (sp) pronounced boobies in lancaster area.

Bube's Brewery is in Elizabethtown, a very cool place with some good beer.

I would put the order of must visit as:
1- troegs - must must must
2 - Appalachian - really should go
3 - lancaster - if you can swing another

If you can make it 45 minutes east, Lancaster county has 8 breweries (not in any order):
1- lancaster
2 - stoudts
3- union barrell works
4 - iron hill
5 - jo boys
6 - bubies
7 - swashbuckler
8 - spring house

I would put the order of must visit as:
1- troegs - must must must
2 - Appalachian - really should go
3 - lancaster - if you can swing another

Good list of the order, but let me elaborate...

1- Troegs - Definite must... Do their tour on a Saturday, but call ahead... They reserve spots, and I believe they do 3 time slots now. All ages are permitted. Great tasting rooms, and best beers out of the three. Some free samples, but well-priced pints and samples.

2- Appalachian - Must-visit as well. I worked there for 4 years. Free tour is at 1pm on Saturdays (do this, then hit Troeg's, they're 6 blocks from each other). Free samples after. I would do lunch here at 11:30/noon, tour at 1, then Troeg's at 2.

3- Lancaster - The Harrisburg location (3 miles tops from Troeg's and ABC) has a restaurant but does not brew on the premises. All LBC kegs come from the Lancaster city location, all bottles are being brewed and packaged at The Lion right now. Their food is good, but is not priced as well as ABC. ABC has more food variety as well. I would stop here if time permits, but don't go out of your way.

Back